mr.smith

36B ??? Not E-scouting

I've got the hunt coming up this weekend and I thought I knew where I wanted to hunt but have been reading through old posts on here see that those areas are high traffic areas. So here is my question; Where am I least likely to encounter smugglers and immigrants? I'm sure I can find deer just about anywhere in the unit. I'm not worried about that. I just don't want to run into a bunch of trash and AK toting mules. I had planned on hunting around Fraguita Spring/ Tres Bellotas area, but that seems to be right on the main illegal highway. I have looked at the Warsaw Canyon area but have heard horror stories there too. Are there fewer illegals on the east side of the unit? Perhaps right in the center as it is further from I-19 and hwys 289/286? I also thought about hunting north of the Ruby road thinking that area is more out of their way. Any input is appreciated. PM's are preferred. Thanks. -Josh

Guest borderboy

I don't know that area but it can't be worse than 30a. Even 29 has it's share of traffic. You probably take precautions already but park in plain view. A place where your vehicle is easily visible. Keep a watchfull eye. In a way hunting in an area where people travel through often but are not hunting may be an advantage. The deer tend to just get out of the way more than hide. Just an observation. Cuidado - suerte.

Though I am not sure you can be least likely to see them there thes last couple years I have seen less and less illegal traffic in the area you are considering. Mainly I think that is due to not only the BP but also the Towers and the EODT trucks that fly down that road all the time. if you camp on the road bring a dust mask. :ph34r:

2 years ago we did walk up on a 4 or 5 illegals napping under a tree near the top of fraguita peak but of all the places I hve been in the unit that area has seemed to have fewer.

Good luck on your hunt no matter where you decide.

Though I am not sure you can be least likely to see them there thes last couple years I have seen less and less illegal traffic in the area you are considering. Mainly I think that is due to not only the BP but also the Towers and the EODT trucks that fly down that road all the time. if you camp on the road bring a dust mask. :ph34r:

2 years ago we did walk up on a 4 or 5 illegals napping under a tree near the top of fraguita peak but of all the places I hve been in the unit that area has seemed to have fewer.

Good luck on your hunt no matter where you decide.

+1 .... be ready for a bit of hunting pressure that first weekend but if you are staying the whole time hunting traffic will be minimal after sunday

Thanks guys. I'm bringing my nephew so he has to be back on Monday for school. Helping on a sheep hunt after that so I am limited to opening weekend. I have done quite a bit of map scouting and have decent hikes planned. Hopefully we can get in far enough from the roads to escape the pressure and high enough up to escape the immigrants/mules. Good luck on all your hunts.

Your hunting 36B and want to know where you won't find illegals? I suggest the Border Patrol check point on I-19. At least those are under detention. The entire unit has trails/pockets of illegal activity. My suggestion, hunt the North rim of the Grand Canyon next year!

My suggestion, hunt the North rim of the Grand Canyon next year!

I saw a video on youtube that said that was a great area for coues ;) :rolleyes: :lol:

Your hunting 36B and want to know where you won't find illegals? I suggest the Border Patrol check point on I-19. At least those are under detention. The entire unit has trails/pockets of illegal activity. My suggestion, hunt the North rim of the Grand Canyon next year!

I've been PMing a guy who hunted a couple weeks ago there...his cooler was raided from the back of his truck. They were parked w/in sight of the BP camp on Ruby.

I'll be out there too...hopefully...walked the breast cancer walk in San Diego (60 miles) and my feet are hamburger. Should bring my bow as slow as I'll be walking! Good luck!!! Remeber...mules are bigger than coues ;)

I've seen illegals in all parts of 36B, including some very remote areas where I never thought they would be. After a near miss with several marijuana bail packing mules last year in a fairly remote canyon, we decided it was time to hunt a different unit. It was a relief to hunt this year without wondering how many eyes were watching us or what we might see around the next bend. That's a great unit for quality deer, but at the end of the day it's all about making it home safely. Good luck and be safe.

I think the state of Main is a safe bet

Truth be told there every were in that unit

Here's an idea for you. Carry a pistol next to your backpack, in the event you are encountered close, you'll have some defense. Most illegals do not want problems and will try to avoid you. Also, remember to use your camoflauge to your advantage. Tell your nephew that if you encounter someone to hide first. Always better to be safe than sorry. Come up with a word to let him know it is safe to come out. I doubt you will have an issue but it is always better to plan. Matalo (speeling might be wrong) is the word you do not want to hear. It is kill him. I am not posting this to scare you. Have a plan and be on guard but do not let it stop you. Also, put a gallon of water out around your camp so the illegals will not break into your trailer to find water. They'll grab and go. Remember, they just do not want to get caught. Be careful about what people tell you when it comes to problems down there, some have agendas.

I guess last year I was just lucky, I didn't see any illegals while hunting 36B. I realize that it's a fact that they are there, it's just a shame that you have to worry about them.

Before my hunt in 36B last year, I was more concerned with the illegals in AZ than the Kodiak Brown bears while Sitka hunting Kodiak Island the fall of '07.

--Bill

Guest borderboy

It has been my experience that UDAs don't want contact with anyone. Unless they are in trouble and need help or have given up. The dopers don't want attention either - for obvious reasons. Years back I was leaving town for a day hunt. It was still dark and as I passed the BP Station I saw a campfire. I pretty much knew they were UDAs. There is no road there and really no reason to be in there. A BP agent confirmed it later on. They were only a quarter mile away from the station! I've also seen trails and lots of footsign in remote areas. I've glassed up quite a few too. Traffic is everywhrere! You will know if something is wrong. Listen to that inner voice. But also - as TEAM JESUS said - carry a sidearm. Paz y suerte.

Thanks all. I am never in the field without my sidearm and I know enough spanish to get by (should be fluent but I'm a slacker). I don't really expect a problem but if you are ready then if/when the situation arises it more than likely won't get out of control. I'm looking forward to the hunt. Good luck to all who are hunting this weekend.