Sign in to follow this  
luke duke

Luke duke's(my) 2009 7w Bull- My First Bull Elk Ever

Here goes...

So we have me , my dad (DUG) , my mom( has a bull tag in 8) and our family friend Bob he is helping my mom.

IMG_5291.jpg

Openning morning we got a late start. so we played the wind checking previous years spots on our way to this years spot. we crest a ridge and i catch movement...

IMG_5297.jpg

Just a bunch of lopes. mostly does maybe 1 small buck so we watch them and continue.

We get to a vantage point and see a cow a calf and a really small bull bust out across an open area at about 1000 yards. so we drive around to cut them off. we park and start walkin...within 200 yards the calf and cow are staring at us from 70 yards and then they are gone. never saw them again. we finally make it to the spot from out original plan. and there is nothing going on. so we leave and come upon a guy in his truck who is sitting about 100 yards off the road...we could see his road he made to get there...not even gonna get into that subject right now. we head towards some mountains. we get to the end of the road at the base of the mountains and right away i spot an antler 300 yards up the side of the mountain sticking out of some junipers. well it wasnt an elk. dont know what it was but both me and my dad thought it was an elk antler. so we look across to a different mountain side and spot a monstro cow elk. but she was all alone. we watched her for what had to have been an hour to make sure she didnt have a boy friend hiding on the same mountainside.

So...now it is getting to the last hour so we book for our last light spot. we stop to whizz with 10-20 minutes of light left. LO AND BEHOLD big 6x6 at around 800 yards. we get into cover and sneek as fast as we can to try and make a last minute shot. well no dice on the big boy. So we head back into williams for some pizza hut.

Day 2: we had found a water trough with lots of traffic. so we head there first thinking to catch the heard after watering...well we get there and only one or two elk had been through. by this point my stomach was getting a little queezy so we go back to the truck and i go to a juniper to sit and try and feel better. well as i am sitting there WITHOUT MY GUN!!!! The whole 30 head herd is coming in to water. so my dad grabs the gun and we start sneeking very rapidly behind junipers and set up for the shots... 3 hits later he is dead as dornail. i almost had to shoot him a 4th time because i walked up and poked him and he blinked at me... but he expired shortly there after.

IMG_5310.jpg

IMG_5316.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

this bull was just a smidge too big to put the whole thing in my dad's Fj. so the rack got to ride in style.

IMG_5321.jpg

Great job Luke. It was fun hunting with you on this hunt. Sorry we couldn't get that big boy but this guy will work.