Sign in to follow this  
AZbowhntr

1st elk down

Well I just got back last night from my elk hunt. It was tougher than I thought it would be. The bigger bulls were bedding down right at first light and not getting up until right at sunset. So you had to know where they were or be real lucky. I glassed five bulls the first evening get up right at sunset. With three of them within rifle range. But none were bigger than a 5X5. So we backed off and headed back to the truck.

The next morning we went to another area that I have seen some good bulls at before including a real nice bull that a buddy of mine shot last year. Right off we saw another 5X5 with about a dozen cows. We end up moving to the next ridge and glassing up a bull that looked like he would go about 325 and 4 other smaller bulls. Unfortunately the big one was on another mountain that would have taken about 3 hrs to get to. So we keep him in mind and head to another area for the afternoon. We end up seeing a bull right at last light but couldn't count points or length.

Sunday morning we decide to go to an area that I had seen some nice bulls a few weeks ago on my coues hunt. It ended up snowing on and off most of the morning with only about 100 yards of visibility some of the time. We only saw one bull which happened to be on private property at about 2 miles away. We ended up going back to the trailer to get warmed up and head out for the afternoon. We decided to head out in a totally different direction to see what we would find. Almost as soon as we sat down to glass we spot 2 bulls within about a mile. With one of them a shooter. So we decide on a game plan and take off after them. We get to the ridge that we had decided on and range the bulls at 550 yards. Looking around we pick up 3 more bulls just off the the left and a little lower than the others. We decide to drop back and swing around to the next ridge which would put us within 200 yards and easy shot for both of us with tags. Unfortunately once we get to the next ridge we can't find the big bull anymore and the others sensed something was going on. But a 6X6 and a 5X5 were still holding tight. We talked a little about if we wanted to take them or not and seeing as I have never shot a bull before decided that I shouldn't be passing on a 6X6 at 200 yards. So I shoot my bull and he lunges forward a few yards and just stands there. So I put another round in him dropping him for good. Almost instantly my buddy shoots the other bull which then proceeds to run straight down the ridge towards us and he puts another round into him dropping him also. Everything happened within about 10 seconds. It was pretty crazy. By the time we got to them it was almost pitch dark and took us about a half hour to find mine. Luckily my buddies went down in an opening so it was easy to find. We got them all quartered out that night to let the meat cool down and went back in the next morning to pack out everything. Luckily we were able to find a road that got us within about a half mile so we didn't have to pack them out too far. Here are a few pictures. The first couple are mine and the last one is my buddies.

post-1717-1259729733_thumb.jpg

post-1717-1259729789_thumb.jpg

post-1717-1259729908_thumb.jpg

post-1717-1259729828_thumb.jpg

Congrats on a couple of nice bulls! Sounds like it was pretty intense there for a little bit.

Congrats on 2 nice bulls. I could not imagine having 2 on the ground at once. I'm ready for a nap after just one elk.

Congratulations on a successful hunt ;)

Is that a 68 to 72 3 door/5,barn doors Suburban The trailer is hooked to?

We had one and wish I still did.

My wife did not like driving it because of the size.

Gamehauler, good eye. We had the same discussion about the Suburban and I think he said it is a 72. It is a friend of mines and he picked it up for $300 bucks. It is amazing where he has taken it. Thanks for the comments guys.

Here are a few of the trail cam pics that I got off of a spring that we hunted one night. None of the bulls that we glassed had been coming to the spring. It felt just like it used to when I was a kid at Christmas time looking at the pictures for the first time.

post-1717-1259811877_thumb.jpg

post-1717-1259812016_thumb.jpg

post-1717-1259812205_thumb.jpg

post-1717-1259812431_thumb.jpg

post-1717-1259812580_thumb.jpg

I know this comes a little late, however, congratulations on a real good bull.

What unit are you going to put in for this year? Or are you going to just start accumulating points for a while?