Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

collared dove

Finally got a chance to shoot some of these big boys. They fly alot different than the mournings, and are hard to put down. We had one with some very nice colors. They were good eating over the fire, a bit like dark turkey. David

DSCN9954.jpg

DSCN9958.jpg

DSCN9959.jpg

I have seen those collared doves at my feeder. I looked them up in my book, it seems like they came here from Europe via Florida??? Anyone else know anything about them.

Without giving up any of your "spots," where are these guys normally found? General areas work for me...

They are usually found next to any farm buildings, or any kinda huge agricultural structures.

post-3328-1260237492_thumb.jpg

Looks like they've found the White Mountains.

There were several feeding on the ground for nearly a week outside our cabin in Greer this summer, picking up the bits of corn the squirrels dropped out of our squirrel feeders. Bandtail pigeons fed regularly at these feeders all summer, but I never saw the two species together.

I also saw Asian doves at a friend's home in Eagar this summer, too.

Bill Quimby

I have seen those collared doves at my feeder. I looked them up in my book, it seems like they came here from Europe via Florida??? Anyone else know anything about them.

I asked the game and fish in Yuma about them in 2002. They said that a pet store guy in Florida let about 50 of them go in the 70's. They breed about 4-6 times a year with about 3-5 chicks. the babies once grown will fly about 50 miles and make it their home. They (game and fish) dont want them here. Thats why there is no limit on them...They sure do taste good...

I asked the game and fish in Yuma about them in 2002. They said that a pet store guy in Florida let about 50 of them go in the 70's. They breed about 4-6 times a year with about 3-5 chicks. the babies once grown will fly about 50 miles and make it their home. They (game and fish) dont want them here. Thats why there is no limit on them...They sure do taste good...

If they taste like other doves and pigeons, no thanks. I prefer quail.

Bill Quimby