Sign in to follow this  
joeeden

Who would want to eat a javi?

i had a friend from school bring some today that was excellent, we always make them into jerky cause my dad isnt a fan of roast but he corck potted it in beef broth and then put a can of green chiles on it, it was great, but we skin it with 1 knife and cut it up with another, we just bone them out cause they are small enough to do in the field, but we skin down the back and go the gutless method with them, like amanda said the gland comes off with the skin, and you wont touch another if they have another i dont know about, but ya skin with 1 knife then bone out with another and they are excellent

I have had nasty Javi and good. I love pork and I am sorry Javilina aint pork. I really do not care for it. I always donate mine. Ask your meat processor and they will probably know some organizations that will take it. Game and Fish also knows to locations it can be donated.

We make sausage out of ours...Excellent meat. I have a friend in Williams that would take the meat if you still want to give it away.

Mark

I've probably shot 30 or so of them back in west and south TX over the years and I ate ONE (and it was the 1st one I ever shot at 11 years old). Never again. Tasted just like it smelled in the burros, chops, chorizzo, etc...

From then on, the ranch hands on the properties we stacked them on got their fill of javie meat every season when we went hunting. They liked it when we would shoot the little brown ones the best..

Haven't shot one since my sophmore year in college back in '97.. I haven't missed all that much!

Thank you everyone for the insight and ideas. I have to say I'm with Scottyboy here. I have taken great care to field dress these critters and I just don't have any interest in eating them. Typically I have someone to take them off my hands. Donating the meat seems like a great idea. I have heard about digging a big hole and wrapping them in burlap for 8 hours. Then unwrap it and eat the burlap. Sounds like a lot of work and I don't care for burlap either.:)

When I took the first bite of the Javelina I shot last February I was holding my nose, bracing myself for this aweful taste I had heard so much about. My hunting buddy and I were surprised that the meat was very good. I did not find it to be any more gamey than deer and my buddy actually preferred it to elk and deer. We both shot javi's and had them gutted and skinned immediately, and the meat was in the cooler within an hour. The one thing I will say is the meat is tougher than deer, and I usually cooked it for a day in the crockpot on low.

We have killed probably 15 and everyone we have eaten. Again its all about field care. We hang them, skin them then, gut them. it seems to work alot better. Then we quarter them and put them in a fridge for a few days then pressure cook the meat off the bone. Makes great tamales, and with just bbq sauce on bread. Why hunt them if you dont eat them. Wasting of game meat?