Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Why do you apply...

Why do you Apply...  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What is the ONE major factor that influences your coues hunt unit and season choice?

• Trophy potential
    • Most familiar with that unit
    • Close to home
    • Away from border issues
    • Friends and family put in there also
    • Better draw odds
    • Better chance of filling the tag
    • Like the habitat/terrain
    • Like different units each time/wanderlust
    • Less crowded
    • Good access
    • Good unit to backpack into
    • Like the season.. Oct vs Nov vs Dec
    • Other

Most important to me is high draw odds and haveing another opportunity to go hunting.

Everything else can be sorted out from that point.

I have to agree with antlerhead on this one. The opportunity to hunt means way more than the size of the animals in the unit. Of course I would like to shoot a big one but that's not my priority. Since moving here from Ohio, in the 70's, I've only went one year without drawing a deer tag and have had 20 some elk tags which the last 19 years have been archery tags. The odds are the way I go. Good luck on your draw. :)

TJ

I had to pick two.... Trophy potenial and close to home. All coues units have trophy potenial.... you just gotta get out there and work for it... obviously the further south you go the more deer there are, and that is nice.... more deer means more big bucks. So my reall reason is close to home. I have more time to hunt if I'm close to home.... and I believe I can find a big buck anywhere if I have enough time. ;)

My first choice is always AZ Strip Carp deer for the trophy. My second and third is always late Couse in the two areas close to home and I know the areas very well.

I use to put in for Oct hunts (early) because of the draw odds. The last two years I have not because of the cost for me to travel to those areas. I would take out a loan if I needed to for a strip carp tag.

I hunt the OTC archery season in 2 units. I have never been shown around any others. Might ask a friend if I can tag along on his application this year. I have brought some "experienced" hunters along with me before and was scared the hole time :unsure: . Just didn’t like their ethics <_< ...Hey If anyone wants to take a stranger on a hunt this year send me a PM. I'm always willing to learn new tricks and new spots ;) ...

well i will never put in for late november again. too many hunts preceeding. my first choice is a dcember hunt just in case im lucky then last 4 are combos of october and early november hunts in my two favorite units then if all that fails be on top of your game the day leftovers come out and you can have your pick of any hunt except december in all the 34's, 35's and 36's even the 30's. funny i tried to start this same topic but not as a poll and 2members replied " we choose the hunts we choose because we like to hunt" and that was it thanks i was almost confused;} :lol:

I made my choice first on best chance of getting a tag, then hunter success, then finding an area that you would want to get to know well enough to continue to go back. I had my first couse hunt in November, loved the southern AZ territory, and will return for hunts on other game.

Theres alot of reasons for me I guess. I always go dec 1st choice in a few different units. I like fewer people in the hills and the longer season to find what im lookin for. 2nd choice I look for units I can get drawn fairly regular. I choose different ones all the time, usually where i can find some dcenmt bucks for me and family/friends. Its nice to hunt closer to home but thats not a huge factor cuz i usually end up driving down to the border units atleast once if not twice a year to help guys. Same thing about border issues. Id rather not deal with it or have to worry about it but If i get asked to go on a hunt down south I dont think twice. It didnt used to bother me too much when i first got outa highschool. Id drive down scouting to border units regularly. Now id rather not deal with it.

i apply just so there is less chance of muleyman getting drawn. Lark.

HaHaHaHa!! :lol: :lol:

I would have to say I always put in for units that I am most familiar with. This is my deciding factor.

However, draw odds are also factoring in now a days. Seems like it is best to play the odds on the 2nd choice, because they most likely won't get to your 3rd, 4th , or 5th choices. Years ago, a guy could save his less desirable units for choice number 4 or 5 - not anymore, almost every unit is desirable for someone.

Draw odds are most important because I simply like to go hunting. Back in the day I'd put in for late Kaibab 1st, December Coues 2nd and then October and November Coues hunts as 3, 4 and 5. Stacking the odds in my favor assured me a tag almost every year. When my 3rd 4th and 5th choices started to become less than 100% and I sat out a year or two, the next year I'd shift my choices to the left leaving out Kaibab. My second best buck came from one of the later choices and I've learned many units by not going for one particular unit or nothing. I simply like to hunt and will have a good time in just about any unit as long as I have a tag in my pocket and a rifle on my shoulder.