Sign in to follow this  
RTAYLOR

WHAT UNIT ??????????????

I'm also a serious hike-in hunter and believe that I will get away from 90% of other hunters but heres my problem with telling units. Alot of southern units are so access limited that once you know the unit one can really narrow down an access location. So now just through word of mouth several more hunters than normal are parking at these dead end roads, now you have alerted ranchers, BLM, Res cops, Game wardens, Forest service, not to mention if it's close to a conservation area "tree huggers". I've personally witnessed more than a couple roads closed as a result of just one big mouthed guy thinking he will just out hike and hunt everyone else. Now the road is closed and that spots done, except for the rancher's friends.

kkay,

I completely understand your point. I, too, hunt some units that are quite locked up already, and adding hunters to these areas or having them closed down would not be a great thing from a very selfish perspective. Like you, I prefer to put on the pack, hike an hour or two before first light and hunt from there. More rewarding and better exercise for me!

I've got two Coues in the 90's & 1-110" , two Muleys in the 170's and they all came from Unit 27 . There is plenty of them down there and if YOU kill one , congrats cause you earned it !!!

I've got two Coues in the 90's & 1-110" , two Muleys in the 170's and they all came from Unit 27 . There is plenty of them down there and if YOU kill one , congrats cause you earned it !!!

I here you bro! I have hunted there for 30 years. Hundreds of miles hiking and much boot leather. Paid my dues in sweat,blood and sore muscles, but I wouldn't trade one memory of it for anything.

"Azone you mean you cant find detailed info online ...... Guess it depends on where you look if they look hard they might find some info like this that I found....."

I stand corrected :huh: :blink:

If I had ever shot a big deer, I would say. All the deer that I have taken, all less than 75" (those are just fine trophies for me) have come from 33, 34A, 36A, 36B and 36C. Although these are well-known units, I never seem to connect on big ones, and have actually passed on deer bigger than the ones I have already shot. Both bow and rifle. If I get one in 2010, that will be 10 deer total for me, so I would not consider myself a master hunter. Same with javelina, one more and that will be 10 with a bow for me.

If your strictly archery, it probably wouldnt matter much if you said what unit, but its already hard to get drawn for rifle deer. Just look at the units that have left over tags. Not saying that, for example, unit 30 doesnt have some toads in it, heck.....maybe its a trophy hunters best kept secret. ;) But the less a unit is bragged about, the better your chances of gettin drawn...specially a coveted late tag.

If you see it on the internet then it probably is not the truth anyway. Not that you'll are lying, just some. LOL :blink: The worlds record coues was not taken in Pima County.

I have only been hunting for about 8 years now (I'm the ripe old age of 31). And if it weren't for friends like Jake (Tines), Cole Van Winkle, Brian Robinson, Tom Rose, and Cody Glover, I would not have even got into hunting. These guys kinda took me under their wing, because they new that I really wanted to do it, and now love it. I have not killed any deer of any substantial size, but I get out and go every chance I get. Apatkelly ( AAron) and AZpackhorse (Brian) helped with some info last year on my late December hunt in 34b, when others on the forum were not so nice with me asking a question about access or maps that I could locate. I have seen the biggest bucks in 34b (probably due to the lack of access, lots of private land). I have also hunted all the 36's and 33. So I would like to thank Cody for taking me on my very first hunt at 23 years old. Thanks to Brian R. for my very first turkey hunt, thanks to Jake for being with me on my very first harvest. Thanks to Tom and Cole for teaching me all they can, the input from good friends is worth more than the harvest. 2 spikes in 8 years, one cow on the OTC tag, and missed a 125"+ buck on my late December tag in 2008. Although I have not harvested in 5 years it is the fun of being with good friends, good food, and good times. So I suppose to get back to the question at hand, I have no problems with telling anyone what unit I hunt, and maybe even give some areas to try, if it will get a newbie into the sport, it will only help all outdoorsman with continuation of the sport that i have come to love. Thanks to all for this site, I have learned alot here. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may the new year bring big bucks, bigger bulls, and memories to last a lifetime.

Oh Yeah my Avatar is a buck I killed in Texas. Almost forgot about that one.

Guest DaRut
Why is it that every time i go to the game and fish web site and look at the "your photos" i see these great pics, then i see some @ss asking what unit and it makes me sick. ya i have to give credit to friends for great hunting spots, but you still have to find them and shot them!!!! What unit-get out of the truck some time and you might find some deer

Because everyone isnt a bad butt like you. (Probably because they want to know WHERE THE BIG ones r being shot, thats a good questions to ask and good info to know. I have been hunting my whole life and I awlays ask, if they will tell you why not ask, if they dont big deal.) Why is everyone on here so dang cocky.

You know what pisses me off? Seeing this identical post every couple months on every hunting forum. Put this one up there with famous posts like: 1)How Far is Too Far? 2). Darn Road Hunters Make Me Angry :angry: 3). Game and Fish Pissed in My Wheaties. :angry:

:rolleyes:

I have been thinking about this thread since I read it last night. I am newer to AZ and since everything is done by draw, doesn't it make sense that you could always say what unit, because of the draw. I seems to me that the number of hunters in a unit is up to F&G, so the only downside to answering "what unit?" is the quality of the hunters might go up in that unit. I am always interested in hearing what unit because I am looking for new ground, but just because someone got a good one doesn't mean that I bank on drawing that unit. Just my humble opinion. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, AND GOOD HUNTING.

Asking what unit is a fair question and a great conversation starter...I ask frequently. Im no expert but I would wager that in 2009 there were more then one quality buck taken from every unit that had a coues hunt in it. That said, my question is this, What difference does it make if someone knows what unit you killed in? Check the regs and the success rates I promise you were not the only one hunting that unit or the only one that filled a tag. Share the info...this sport is one that tends to intimidate new folks as it is and if they get shot down or scoffed at when they ask for help it turns them off. I say if you really know your unit you probably have multiple spots....take a new hunter with you...let them see deer or maybe taste success...then in the future you never know they might be willing to give you some info..