Sign in to follow this  
Coues Sniper

Salsa Recipe

Looking for a good salsa recipe and figured this would be a good crowd to ask ;). Primarily looking for a "Salsa Fresca" type, but would like a good hot Salsa Verde recipe too. I love salsa but have never made it. Top secret tips/family recipes appreciated :)

Thanks and have a great New Year,

Kevin

And here I thought you were going to have a good recipe for me Doug :rolleyes:

Something like that. Store bought just won't cut it anymore - I got spoiled on my last hunt in Mexico ;). I've been wanting to make my own for a while now, so I'm looking for a good recipe to start with.

Guest borderboy

I'm like mom - I don't use measurements. But one salsa I and my buddys like is as follows:

-

A can of cubed pineapple (at least) I don't use the generic stuff. I just think it's better. ??

A couple of fresh tomatos roasted(more if you want)

A whole garlic

At least a half sweet onion ( I like a whole one) I tend to like a strong onion though.

A whole bunch of cilantro fresh of course ( I like to just use the leaves)

Two to four habaneros (depends on your taste and tolerance)

A couple of serranos - some prefer jalapenos - I don't care for them. Serranos and jalapenos - I look for the ones that have little cracks along the side. You will see what I mean - fresh with the cracks. From my gardening I think (I think) these are the ones that are the "readiest".

In my garden I use the "fire tips" - serranos that turn red at the tips.

I put it in the blender and chop it up. I'll add water first. This with a few warm homemade flour tortillas - oh yeah. I'll make a batch and it'll be gone when my friends are. So is the ice cream. I like salsa that bites but there comes a pt when it's too much. And everyone is different. Just start out easy and work up.

I "eyeball" and taste my food. Chopping stuff up just makes it easier for the blending. Crushed pineapple will work just as well. A buddy uses chiltepin. I have some chiltepin plants but I give them away. Not enough icecream in the stores for those.

jmp - thanks, I'll hit him up ;)

borderboy - that sounds awesome. I'll definitely give that a try. I'm a big habanero fan also. I'll whip up a batch and get some ice cream and let you know how it goes. Gracias. And if you're in the sharing mood - what's your method for the homemade tortillas? ;) I'm of the opinion that there really isn't anything better on this planet than a couple runny eggs inside a warm homemade tortilla with some fresh salsa...

thanks again

Make you some mango salsa (sorry, no exact recipe but made with fresh sweet purple onions, mangos, lime, tomatoes, jalepenos) and then (lightly) grill some mahi or shark steak kabobs and enjoy with some ice cold Tecate or Dos Eqis.. Best stuff you'll ever eat.

Kevin,

My wife has a really good recipe... we are hunting tomorrow but I will get it from her ASAP.... ;)

Kevin,

My wife has a really good recipe... we are hunting tomorrow but I will get it from her ASAP.... ;)

Hi Buddy, old friend, old pal :(

Borderboy - Looking forward to trying them with your salsa ;)

Gino - I thank you sir!

And Colita Blanca sent me his recipe and asked that I put it on this thread for everyone. Thanks again Colita!

Colita Blanca's recipe:

Roast 6 green chile's, 4 jalepenos, 6 tomatoes.

peel each of them.

place in bowl and smash with potato masher.

add salt and garlic salt to taste.

after roasting green chile's, place in plastic bag and let sweat. This makes it easier to peel. Also take the seeds out of the green chile's.

Do not blend. This is a chunky salsa. Sorry, no measurements, it's something my abuelita taught me.

Whatever you make, it will surely be tasty. I can't recall a bad homemade salsa. Nor can I recall a store-bought in a jar better than anything homemade (Pace included ;) ).

Casey - you're probably right, but it's going to be fun trying ;)

By the way, I HIGHLY reccomend trying that recipe Borderboy posted. I made some last night and it was awesome. 2 Habaneros was about perfect for my taste but the wife couldn't touch it. (But she thinks Cilantro is hot ;)) Thanks again Borderboy!

Just like this:

DSCN3571.jpg

DSCN3572.jpg

DSCN3573.jpg

Then add some chile "chiltepin" to the salsa and oh boy!! huummm delicious!

Ernesto C