Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

whitetail in unit 33

Hey guys great website, im new but have been reading all the post's for months and now i have a reason to jump in and play. I drew a unit 33 oct. whitetail tag and have never hunted this unit, and was wondering if anyone could maybe give me some areas to check out and scout/archery hunt. well I look forward to hearing your input, and in advance thanks for the tips!!!!!

P.S. Good luck to everyone who drew tags.......Especially all you lucky bastards with an archery bull tag!!! GOOD LUCK.

Hey guys great website, im new but have been reading all the post's for months and now i have a reason to jump in and play.  I drew a unit 33 oct. whitetail tag and have never hunted this unit, and was wondering if anyone could maybe give me some areas to check out and scout/archery hunt.  well I look forward to hearing your input, and in advance thanks for the tips!!!!!

P.S.      Good luck to everyone who drew tags.......Especially all you lucky bastards with an archery bull tag!!! GOOD LUCK.

It is difficult to give you the advice on where to hunt since I don?t know what type of terrain or vegetation that you like to hunt in, or how you hunt. Some people might like to hunt big mountains with big canyons, and others may like to hunt rolling hills. Some might like to hunt the thick oak and manzanita, and some may like open areas with ocotillo and mesquite. It all depends on your personal preference. Some people like to sit and glass while others hike for miles, or do a combination of both. The only thing that I can tell you is to get maps, and get out and drive and find where you can get into and where you can?t, access is a big issue. Find areas that look good to you that meet your hunting style. Getting into more difficult areas will usually mean fewer hunters to deal with. I believe deer can be found all over and most large canyons will have deer in them.

Your member No. 666 is a bad sign. Any info cut put a massive curse on the providers.

Unit 33 is a Crem Dela Crem.

Thats it.

Dan

What the heck is a Crem Dela Crem ?

Another way of saying the cream of the crop? I don't know a friend found an awesome arrowhead one time and from that day on it was called the Crem Dela Crem.

Long story.

Dan

My son also drew this tag.

The last 7/8 years I've had access to a ranch on the E. side of the Rincons, dang nice with no quads or people!!! But he never drew there.

Now it has sold & we might have to look elswhere.

Don't know much about the rest of the unit, except alot has burned which is a good thing, But i don't even know where those areas are.

I know some of you can point me in the right direction to get started.

Just want some solitude & him to have a chance at a good buck.

I'm afraid he is losing intrest do to having to spend more time avoiding the masses on 4 small wheels, then chasing bucks.

Not like it use to be, Alot more tags, but alot less people in the field.?????

Thanks, DH

Another way of saying the cream of the crop? I don't know a friend found an awesome arrowhead one time and from that day on it was called the Crem Dela Crem.

Long story.

Dan

Dan H, Thanks for the explanation, I too have found an arrowhead in there :)

You drew a great tag. This is a wonderful unit for big deer. You just need to be willing to put the time into it. Sitting and glassing is the key in this unit. If you want to do some preseason scouting with good results. I would go to the town of Oracle and take the road to Peppersauce Canyon. This road is a road that will eventually take you up the back side of Mount Lemon. This area was burned 3 or 4 years ago. Find high place to glass from and glass hard. There are alot of deer here. I recommend glassing early morning, drive around and get to know the roads during the day, and glass right at sun down. You should find alot of deer here.

Good luck.

The Peppersauce Canyon road is a good place to start. Check topo maps on how to get to Rice Peak. Also try Dan Saddle and Oracle Ridge, and glass into upper Canyon del Oro.

Years ago we used to hunt just off the main road on the front range below Molino Basin and the old Prison Camp. We simply found a good place to park and climbed (it was almost vertical) to a spot where we could glass. It was amazing how many deer we saw. That was 30 years ago. Don't know if they're still there after all the recent construction work and increased traffic.

Good luck!

Bill Quimby

Best advice has already been given, Glass your eyes off from a high point down off peppersauce somewhere and then drive the unit. There are alot of deer all over the unit and dont be afraid of the flats.........Allen......

I drew this tag as well, November. I have hunted this unit in January for javelina and archery deer and never saw that many other hunters. What should I expect for this hunt. I have some spots picked out to scout, but I don't want to show up opening morning and then having to race up the mountain to get to a spot before someone else.

As long as everyone is going to the northeast end, I'll be fine :rolleyes: . LOL