Sign in to follow this  
The Claw

Another great Mexico year

Had another great time in Mexico with a great group of guys. Some good "old" friends and made some good "new" friends. With the help of my long time friend Matt Woodward of Borderland Adventures we were able to harvest 5 good bucks. We were able to make multiple trips down again for scouting purposes where we had some better success via trail cameras (has been more difficult to monitor in Mexico). Considering that we lost 2 full days to that "hurricane-like" weather we did pretty well. I want to thank all the guys for each of them adding so much to the experience. I had a really fun time. It was especially great for me as well since my Bro and Father in Law (who don't hunt.....yet!) were able to come down and be a part of it and my Bro in Law shared his excellent cooking skills with us....Thank You. I love Mexico and feel grateful for being able to experience it every year. I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

post-2988-1265242619_thumb.jpg

120 1/8

post-2988-1265242854_thumb.jpg

Largest framed deer I personally have held. He has just under 19" beams with an 18" spread credit and gobs of mass. All the other bucks fit inside this bucks frame.

post-2988-1265242655_thumb.jpg

116 4/8ths

post-2988-1265242912_thumb.jpg

post-2988-1265242706_thumb.jpg

112 2/8ths

post-2988-1265242791.jpg

post-2988-1265242821.jpg

post-2988-1265242957_thumb.jpg

"Bases" was very tempting but even though his body and face seem to be that of an older deer I hope he does something more with his main frame next year. He has A LOT of inches around his bases.

post-2988-1265243100_thumb.jpg

This is what happened when we tried to get out in the "hurricane". It was good fun towing out though! Can't wait till next year with all this moisture so far. That was one thing I noticed that the feed looked terrible compared to the year before as they had very low moisture this past year but they did have some late winter rains that allowed for good horn growth.

Thanks guys. Sniper, trust me I was REAL torn but I actually thought about your postings about you wanting a 2 point that broke the 100" mark and wondered if "bases" would count or not? Here is a front view of him.

post-2988-1265251959_thumb.jpg

Sniper, trust me I was REAL torn but I actually thought about your postings about you wanting a 2 point that broke the 100" mark and wondered if "bases" would count or not?

In my book, he would definitely count. Trash is all bonus if you ask me ;) . And character like that is hard to come by. I hope he shows up even bigger for you next year. Congrats again on some great deer, I still can't get over the frame on that first buck.

I still can't get over the frame on that first buck.

I know, you should have seen him on the hoof. He seriously looked like a Texas Whitetail next to the others. Here is a good pic of all the bucks together to get some relativity of the frame. I hated to post it before because as you saw by the scores and individual pics that all the deer are great deer in their own right but they just plain look "smaller" next to the giant framed buck. Kinda like when a long tined 360" bull rack is sitting next to a huge framed, shorter tined bull and you look at them from a distance.

post-2988-1265253589_thumb.jpg

Great bucks for sure! Congrats to all!

I'd vote for "good call" on letting Bases get one more year. ;)

Awesome on a job well done Cade. Congrats again buddy! Gotta love Mexico.

Awesome!! Thanks for your write-up. Great bucks, and love the stuck in the mud pic.

I also was thinking of Coues Sniper's quest for a 100" 2 point while hunting in Mexico. I think I found a perfect ranch for your quest Coues Sniper, we saw a ton of 2 points and some pushing 100. But they didn't have the character of Bases!!

Amanda

nice shooting guys!! im glad to see jack is as young as ever.:lol: i wish we could hang out more one of these days? ;) maybe heath and jack can teach me how to shoot?-bj