lucky2hunt

I Adopted A Catchment!!!

Things have slowed down a little in the forums so I thought I would add this.

This past Fall my husband and I were finally able to join the AZG&F Adopt a Catchment program. We have been trying to do this for over a year, but it was hard to find the right person to talk to. Since being from Flagstaff, Unit 8 is close and it is also a place where we spend a lot of time camping and hunting so we wanted to work in that area. Finally, we were put in contact with Mike Rice the game manager of unit 8. He was thrilled to have any help possible, in fact when I said we would do anything he needed done, he cautioned me saying he had a giant list.

Mid September we met Officer Rice and he took us into our newly adopted catchment, Hitt Springs. Oh boy, it was in major disrepair, there were trees down across fences, fencing down, gates broken, we were in the middle of it now. It is a big area, with two separate fenced off areas, one around the Spring and one around the catchment. Neither my husband or I have ever built fencing but we figured we could handle it, plus we had the help of a good friend that had some experience. I sent Officer Rice a list of things we would need and we set about clearing and cleaning the area.

Because of the time of year, we had to deal with hunters so to be fair to them we would try to limit our work days to midweek, although several times we had to back out after realizing there were hunters. Between working around our own hunting seasons and the snow we didn't get finished, we still have some jumps to put up, a gate to fix and a little more clearing, but that just gives us another reason to get out in the woods this Spring!

IMG_4210.jpg

Spring

IMG_4184.jpg

Catchment

IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4196.jpg

COWS!!!!!!!

IMG_4200.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

BEFORE

IMG_4203.jpg

AFTER

IMG_4244.jpg

Hard at work

IMG_4209.jpg

Yuk

IMG_4190.jpg

A meeting of the 'brain trust'

IMG_4237.jpg

I am the 'Chief Stay Fixer-upper'

IMG_4240.jpg

Looking better - Marley our dog inspecting the work

IMG_4241.jpg

making headway!

IMG_4245.jpg

Finally, the reason why we are doing this!!!

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4219.jpg

Can't wait to get back out there!!!!!!!!!!

That's fantastic, great to see that kind of passion for wildlife. Is it true that the G and F will supply materials if you volunteer the labor?

This program has been out there for a while and i like to see it taking off. It was pushed hard about 4 years ago when the department was having issues with the drought and manpower but for some reason the department didn't advertise it hard enough to get it off the ground. When it was first thought of it was like the Adopt a Highway program and the thought was that a person--any person could adopt a water catchment and you don't even have to belong to any group! This is the neat part--this is something you can do and you don't need approval from any board but your own to take on the task. The thought was since most hunters have their favorite spots to scout that they could check the tanks once a month or so to make sure things were good.

Good job on the tank!!!!!

Great job!!! I love seeing sportsmen out doing their part for wildlife. What a neat idea, to help keep these waterers up and running!

Awesome, thanks for sharing about the program and your particular water hole. That's great!

Wouldn't it be nice if more sportsmen/women worked on habitat improvement projects? if for some reason you don't want to join a group to do it, then this is a very nice alternative!

Amanda

I tried doin this but couldnt get the WM to call me back :angry: I got a hold of, i believe his name was Jeff H, and he told me to call the WM. It was hunting season but maybe ill try again this summer when i have a little more time.

That is awsome. My husband and I hunt unit 8 also, maybe we will be able to do the same...did not know that this program was out there. Thanks for sharing.

That's fantastic, great to see that kind of passion for wildlife. Is it true that the G and F will supply materials if you volunteer the labor?

Yes, G&F will supply material, BUT it has to go through all the 'red tape' so sometimes it takes a little bit. We went ahead and bought some of our own tools since we don't like borrowing tools (even from G&F ;) )

I tried doin this but couldnt get the WM to call me back :angry: I got a hold of, i believe his name was Jeff H, and he told me to call the WM. It was hunting season but maybe ill try again this summer when i have a little more time.

Keep trying!!! Like I said, it took us a long time and a lot of different calls to finally get someone who had knowledge of the program... Well worth it though, there is so much that needs to be done, with the current budget cutbacks and lack of manpower, G&F can't do it by themselves.

Thanks for sharing with us and informing us we can adopt a water hole. Looks like you, your husband, and Marley are having a great time and we need more volunteers like youself helping G&f. With the budget, we could all stand to step it up to pitch in and help out. :)

TJ

When we set it up the guy i worked with was named Weiss--you may try to contact him if he is still in the department. He is a great guy and will help you get it going. I believe his name was Mark Weiss.

This is a great idea that I wish more people would get involved with, the development crews that normally handle this sort of thing are under staffed & are under a hiring freeze like the rest of the state employees. If you are interested, your best place to start is with the Habitat Implementation Program Manager for the Dept., Ed Jharke his phone number is 623-236-7482, or Joe Currie @ 623 236 7867. If they can't help you they will point you to the right person. >>>--> Jed

This is a great idea that I wish more people would get involved with, the development crews that normally handle this sort of thing are under staffed & are under a hiring freeze like the rest of the state employees. If you are interested, your best place to start is with the Habitat Implementation Program Manager for the Dept., Ed Jharke his phone number is 623-236-7482, or Joe Currie @ 623 236 7867. If they can't help you they will point you to the right person. >>>--> Jed

Thanks for all the info Jed!!! I hope more people can get out and participate in any of the projects for our wildlife, not only do you get the satisfaction of knowing you are being a positive influence in habitat restoration, you also get the gratification of knowing you are helping the animals survive and flourish.