Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

changing fleching

I have some carbon express arrows I was thinking about using this year for my elk hunt, but some of the fletchings on some of them are torn up a bit. Is it hard to change these out? Do I need to have a fletching jig just to change out one on each arrow? David

I scape most of the existing glue and vanes with a knife then clean remaining glue withe acetone, just make sure you do not let it set on the carbon arrow to long.

I scape most of the existing glue and vanes with a knife then clean remaining glue withe acetone, just make sure you do not let it set on the carbon arrow to long.

Ditto, use a potato peeler to start then remove the nock and soak in acetone for 30 seconds, rinse with H20 and Fletch. Make sure the shaft is clean, if not repeat. I use an Arizona EZ flecther with Blazers Vanes. The entire setup will cost you about $35, but in time you will pay for it over and over.

Redman2002

Don't use acetone it will break down the carbon and weaken your arrow shaft. use plain water or take a paper towel fold it and use a small amount of rubbing alcohol.

You can use acetone to clean excess glue from the shaft you just do not want it to sit on the shaft for too long or it will start to break up the carbon arrow.

I've used carb clean to remove the last of the glue... then I rough up the arrow with a little steel wool and glue on the new fletchings... I have never had a problem.. I've used this method on both aluminum and carbon...

I ended up taking my shafts to corner archery and letting them put some of the blazers on. So far I am very happy with these. They are quiet and seemed to help my arrow speed. I am shooting a 485 grain arrow and needed all the help I could get. David