Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Saw something really cool

I went out this evening to try out my new predator call on coyotes in Unit 1 just North East of Cerro Montoso. In the rolling hills I saw an elk herd that numbered easily in the hundreds. None were showing antlers so I decided to get closer and look for sheds. I ended up about 150 yards away from the biggest congregataion of elk I have ever seen.

As the sun was setting through the clouds on one shoulder, the closest cows were within 100 yards feeding and meandering, singing a corous of mews. As I scanned, the herd literally covered the ground for at least 1/2 mile to the West into the sunset. I felt like I was witnessing one of the great bison herds of the old days. Every inch of ground seemed to be moving with countless elk, ignorant of my intrusion. Some fed while others laid down in the open grass. Seeing a herd of that size just steps away, and turning to scan the hills and find other groups at least 30 strong in every direction just reinforced how well our elk management is succeeding.

Kudos to G&F and to hunters of this state. Our elk population is stronger, healthier and more prolific than I have seen in over 20 years of living here in the White Mountains. I truly wish I had my video camera with me as this sea of elk meandered in front of me. I would love to be able to show all of the CWT members what I was seeing. All I could think was, dang, I wish Carrie and the boys could be here right now - to see these magnificent animals this close, and in these numbers.

Well, hopefully I'll have some pictures and/or video to illustrate a repeat of this experience later this weekend, but I really don't know if they'll put on the same show when I'm actually prepared to capture and share it. Maybe it was one of those rare moments that happen between you and the world and God - that can't be reproduced. All I know is that I felt almost selfish, being where I was and experiencing it alone - I wanted badly to share it with my wife and sons and my friends, and all of you - who would truly appreciate it.

I guess the words will have to do for now.

I saw somethng similar about 10 years ago in unit 8 near Coleman Lake, also in the month of April. Unbelievable amount of elk grazing in and around the shallow lake with very little concern when I drove up. All I could do was put the truck in park and stare.

All the giant groups I've seen have always been during turkey season or very close. Its a pretty cool deal to see that many at once. Good luck gettuing some pics!

Those big herds will break up before calving time, then come together again in late July, then break up just before the early bowhunting season opens.

Most people don't believe me when I say I often see herds of 200 to 400 elk (and two or three such herds the same day) in my twice-weekly, first-light drives from my cabin, so I've stopped giving numbers. I now say, "saw a lot of elk, this morning" instead of "saw at least 800 or 900."

What is heartening is that lately I sometimes see herds of 30 to 40 mule deer does and fawns together, too. It's been more than 20 years since I could say that about the White Mountains.

I'm convinced the forest thinning the Apache-Sitgreaves has done up there is helping bring back the browse mule deer eat.

Bill Quimby

Thanks for your report, sounds like a great wildlife encounter!!

Bill, I've also noticed that the muley population is growing in the WM, others I talk to agree. They are definately on the rebound.

Yup, the herds are doin well up here!! Also the Coues are populateing some range in 1 and 3-b, very cool!

Maybe some day I'll bag a coues in my backyard units, nice thought!

Thanks for your report, sounds like a great wildlife encounter!! Bill, I've also noticed that the muley population is growing in the WM, others I talk to agree. They are definately on the rebound. Yup, the herds are doin well up here!! Also the Coues are populateing some range in 1 and 3-b, very cool! Maybe some day I'll bag a coues in my backyard units, nice thought!

That someday could be this year. PM me and I'll tell you where I've seen a few Coues deer regularly over the past few years.

Bill Quimby

That must be something seeing that many together. I have never seen a group that big except up in Colorado.

I remember when I started hunting deer in the mid 70's, I used to see large herds of mule deer of 15-40 animals running together. I Don't see big herds of deer like that anymore where I hunt.

I saw a herd of elk up in the White mnts. a few weeks ago that easy 100-125 and a nother maybe a mile away about the same size!

ya thats awesome. i saw in nutrioso during late bull elk hunt last year there were literly 300-400 cows spikes and forks. it was amazing

I do not hunt in the white mountains,but the elk population in units 5/6/7/8/9/10/ etc. are quite a bit smaller then they were 12 to 15 years ago.In 6a the game and fish has lowered the population to much(just my opinion). Pressure from the Ranchers and the almighty dollars to the game and fish have caused this.