Sign in to follow this  

My family recently inherited a hex barrel 30-30 from my grandpa Pace, which was handed down to my Mom, which I won by the luck of the draw between myself and 5 other brothers. There are many great stories from Grandpa and his hunting trips with this gun.

We are toying with the idea of continuing the tradition of the gun by using it for a hunt if we get drawn for deer.

Does anybody out there hunt with open sites anymore.

My first deer I killed was with a lever action 30-30 but everything else big game since then has been with a scoped rifle.

I wonder if I can get that close to a buck again???

I think that's a COOL idea!!! I killed my first big game animal with an old 1894 Winchester 30-30, and I still have that rifle! LOVE that gun!!!

Why not kill a coues with it??? :lol: :lol: What the heck man, I say go for it!! Archers get close all the time!!! ;)

S.

:)

only thing holdin' ya back is you. like stan said, a .30/30 is a helluva lot better than a bow. i still pack one horseback all the time. Lark.

I hunt with two open sight rifles..

I did all my hunting early on with a .303 Savage Model 99, then put a Weaver K2.5 scope on it and never again hunted with open sights.

As for open sites, I will not hunt in a site that has been closed. :)

Bill Quimby

I was waiting for you to catch that, Bill. I first thought the post was about hunting a dig site, as in maybe a marked archaeological site.

My open sight rifles are limited to close range dangerous game.. nothing here in AZ.

A javie hunt with an open sighted 30-30 or an open sighted old front-stuffer would be fun. Maybe a lion crouched up in a tree with an old antique lever gun. Maybe even a big San Carlos bear called into spitting range with an old 45-70. That'd be fun!

Guest Bandido

I have a really old Win 94. It's a great brush gun. It's short, gets the job done. I like to hunt the brush. I also use my Rem 700 in .243. I have never used a scope. Well I use one on my Benjamin .22 pellet gun.

I have an old .300 Savage that i inherited from my grandpa that I shot a muley with several years ago. Still have it but don't know if I will ever shoot it again. I guess it would take the right situation but it was fun shooting.

Any scope worth the name is beyond my budget.

And as of yet, I like the challenge of the marlin 30-30.

(the trajectory beyond 230 yards is as much of a challenge as the iron sights)

I was waiting for you to catch that, Bill. I first thought the post was about hunting a dig site, as in maybe a marked archaeological site.

My open sight rifles are limited to close range dangerous game.. nothing here in AZ.

A javie hunt with an open sighted 30-30 or an open sighted old front-stuffer would be fun. Maybe a lion crouched up in a tree with an old antique lever gun. Maybe even a big San Carlos bear called into spitting range with an old 45-70. That'd be fun!

Those are some good ideas on things to hunt without a scope. When I first moved to AZ, we only had an open sight 30-30. I remember watching a nice coues buck across the canyon and not being able to get close enough for a shot. Since then I have hunted them with my scoped .270. But I like the idea of that 30-30. I might have to give it another try.

My dad was set on shooting a javelina with his 16" .357 model 94. He put on a fiber optic bead and peep sight. Its a pretty neat rig. In all honesty I have a Smith 8" 357 w/ a red dot that shoots better, even at ranges up to 200yards. He wanted to use his trapper. It made for a really fun hunt, and he ended up tagging out. It was a 94 yard shot, and he had to do it shooting prone. Blades, beads and fibers take up a large area that for away. I think a trapper with red dot scope on it would be a great, small, haul everywhre type gun or a really good home defense weapon. I cant bring myself to put a red dot on a lever action though.