Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

CouesDeer Salt Lick

I have hunted over salt and find that the same deer will come around every 2-3 days. If the salt is new you are probably wasting your time. It takes a while for the deer to find the salt and it is very important to keep adding salt 3-4 times a year.

Arizona Griz.

As stated in the above posts baiting is illegal in Arizona. The state does not recognize salting as baiting probably because they haven't taken the time to look into it. In regard to putting out salt now in hopes that it will be found during the late hunt, I personally don't think it will work, but if you could find a well used trail or waterhole it sure wouldn't hurt.

Arizona Griz.

Why do you guys think baiting is illegal in Arizona? As far as I know and I have asked game wardens in the past and read through the rules every year, baiting is legal for everything in this state except bears and migratory birds. Unless they changed something this year, haul all the corn, salt blocks or apple mash you want up to the hills, just don't kill a bear or a duck over it and you are fine....

Bret M.

I believe you are correct Bret. There used to be a blurb about baiting in the regs that could have been interpreted as making even salt illegal - though salt has never been illegal. That blurb has been removed.

From what I have been able to gather from other people that have tried to throw out bait for deer; Arizona deer don't bait well. They seem to be quit indifferent.

Then there is the question of ethics; many people in this state would consider baiting deer cheating - even if it is legal.

Would be a bit embarrasing, wouldn't it, to have your taxidermist telling you and everyone else that your Pope and Young Coues deer had corn falling out of its throat when he caped it?

I also think that if baiting became popular, our conservative Game Dept would quickly make it illegal.

Sounds like I've given this some thought? I have, and the bottom line is it would be a shame to have the wild and wonderful state of Arizona become another Texas.

Mike

Bret and Mike

I think you are correct it is legal to bait deer in AZ. You will have a hard time getting game and fish to give you a yes or no on it. I do beleave it is illegal to bait bears. That is the blurb in the regs.

To clarify, I posed the question to an AZG&FD higher up in the big-game branch about two years ago. Baiting deer in AZ or other game other than bears and migratory birds is LEGAL. -TONY

bullwidgeon is exactly correct you can bait for anything you want except bears and waterfowl.

but to answer your question couesfanatic I agree witj az griz I have found that most of my deer licks start getting hit after about 60 days, but I have had some get hit in just a couple weeks. Most of my elk licks get hit a lot quicker than deer.

Guest robert

another thing you could do is talk to ranchers about where there cattle licks are or where they have been, and if there are cattle in that area at this time, ranchers have a summe and a winter range for cattle. If you find and old lick area where there are not many or no cattle the deer already know where they are, then you can sit the trails to them. then if it happens that baiting is illegal, you arent baiting, you are using something alraedy there and that is perfectly legal. Even if it has been years since salt has been there the deer slill use it, and almost daily, sometimes twice a day. One of the places I hunt has a few old abandoned salt licks. and I have been successfull at all six. and the rancher doesnt even use the area anymore, and I have hunted 2 of them for 7 years and the deer still tear it up. The reason is when it hails on a 50lb salt block a lot goes into the ground. They are also easy to find, just find a major cattle trail from tanks with water and you will probably find one. They look like sink holes and should have a white crust around them. You will also notice the ground is harder there than the ground around it because of the salt.

You might also see where the deer are scraping the ground to loosen the dirt for the salt, it may also be moist. The licks I go to are constantly moist from deer using them. Another tip is if you are sitting a lick and arent having luck, use your canteen to wet it, or if it rains get to the lick quickly because deer smell it better and it is easier for them to get.

Guest Mike

I have had treestands over many different salt plots these past 10 years. Location is by far the most important factor. if the salt is placed just outside of a brushy area w/ a fair deer density the stand will produce very good results. I have noted that the august/sep months produce more deer and especially bucks. The deer stopper call has enabled me to call back bucks and does on numerous occations. salt placed in open areas with little cover with no nearby is worthless