Sign in to follow this  
WOODSAZ

Looking to get a gun for my daughter

My daughter is 7 right now and Im looking for a gun to get her for down the road because these 7 years have flown by, and Im sure the next 2.5 will too. Shes a tiny little thing so I was thinking about getting a .243, probably the Savage. I was thinking I could just get an extra stock and hack one down to fit her and have the extra for me to use as a Coues gun. What do you guys think? I open to any other suggestions too. Im not a big gun guy so my knowledge is somewhat limited.

Thanks, Jay

I bought my boys the Rossi rifle, shotgun combo's. I think for under $200. you get the youth stock, a 22 long rifle, 410 or 20gu shotgun along with a 243 rifle barrel. Good enough gun to grow up with and able to hand down to her children one day.

I bought my boys the Rossi rifle, shotgun combo's. I think for under $200. you get the youth stock, a 22 long rifle, 410 or 20gu shotgun along with a 243 rifle barrel. Good enough gun to grow up with and able to hand down to her children one day.

She did get that Rossi 22 LR/ .410 for Christmas this last year and she loves shooting it. I guess I didnt realize I could also get a .243 barrel for it. Ill have to check it out. Thanks.

BTW this really crimps my alterier motive of getting a gun I can use too... ;)

I guess I could still shoot the Rossi with the bright pink stock :lol:

Jay

I guess I forgot to clarify too that I was looking for something she would be able to deer or other big game hunt with.

Ill have to check that Remington out in person, Thanks Doug.

I had a 700 SS laminated Mountain rifle in 260 rem. That rifle would be good also in 7-08, 308, 270. There is reduced/managed recoil ammo for all three cartridges. The 270 would probably be the best and more versatile for a lifetime. In 270, it would maybe weigh 1/4 pound more.

noooooooooooooooo, not the 7mm08!!!!!!!!! you don't want your daughter growing up with that kinda stigma and reputation. get the .243! i traded for a .243 mohawk remington about 25 years ago. it's killed more deer than chronic wasting disease. i cut the stock off and then added the piece i cut off, back on to it, in about 1 inch incriments, until they all moved up to bigger rifles. found a uncut stock for it at a gunshow and now i shoot it a lot. my buddies kid shot his first buck with it last year too. there are several youth model rifles out there that are really good. you can't go wrong with a .243. there have several elk put down with that dinky mohawk too. whatever ya do, take her with ya. Lark.

I was shy of 25-06 and a .270 around 10. I think I was 12 before I started to want shoot either. I shot em befor but didnt like em. I used a 243 alot, and it doesnt have a recoil pad. Id say .243 and a simms VL or the remignton (same thing) pad and youl be fine. I shot coues muleys and elk with the 243

She did get that Rossi 22 LR/ .410 for Christmas this last year and she loves shooting it. I guess I didnt realize I could also get a .243 barrel for it. Ill have to check it out. Thanks.

BTW this really crimps my alterier motive of getting a gun I can use too... ;)

I guess I could still shoot the Rossi with the bright pink stock :lol:

Jay

I guess I could still shoot the Rossi with the bright pink stock :lol "Now I'll know who you are if I see you i the woods." Stud!

My vote goes to the .243, 260, 708, 308.

The 308 may be a bit stout on the recoil for a 7 year old but a 260 or 708 running 120's should be managable. If she hates the recoil, use a lighter bullet. While a 243 can down a mature elk, the 260 or 708 would offer a bit more forgivness. Either of those would be a good balance between shooter friendly and versitle/effective.

good choice would be a remington 600 or 660 for a decent price (if you can find one) or a remington model 7. 243 would be a good round.

Thanks for the responses eveyone. As of now all I have as far as a bigger caliber rifle is a 30-06 and like I said Im wanting a kind of all around gun that my kids can use down the road. I would like to get something that is manageble for a youngster but also a gun I can use for coues as well. Would a .243 be descent longer range gun, like 500 to 600 yards for coues? I shot the Savage and really liked it an figured I could use it on coyotes as well. That 30-06 does the job on coyotes but blows the snot out of them.

As far as for the kids the recoil seems very manageable and seems they could take anything from coyotes to elk and shorter distances. I wouldnt have them shooting much over a 100 yards to begin with anyway.

Thanks again for the responses I really appreciate the input. Maty asks me all the time when she gets to take hunter safety and shoots her .22 any chance she gets. Its getting me pretty excited too.

308- I see in your signature you filled your Mt goat tag last year. Did you post any pics? That is an animal Ive got on my bucket list.

Jay

I have gone through this same thing with my daughter. She started with a Remington .243 at about age 6. It is a great all around rifle, and she took both coues and carp with it as well as a couple pigs. At 11 years old she drew the youth elk tag. I was not comfortable with the .243 for elk, but found the transition to the .308 was very easy for her. She has taken 2 elk with that gun, both on a single shot.

I find it a bit funny that you are planning on using this gun for yourself in the future. I had the same naive thoughts years ago. Now she has decided to move out of the dorms, and into an apartment. Not only is she planning on taking "her" guns with her, she has suggested others she "must" have to live on her own.

One suggestion I will make is that you buy a youth stock for your gun rather than cutting down the original stock. The fit and balance will be better, and, if she grows up as fast as my daughter, you will need that large stock soon.

Regardless of the gun you choose, it is the time spent together and the memories made that will be special. Enjoy every one of them.