Sign in to follow this  
seek100plus

Winchester model 70 caliber 30 06 into something else

I have a Winchester model 70 30 06 , that was my grandfather and then my dads , then mine . I have told my son that I would have him a custom rifle built for him as a father to son gift. I would like to know what a 30 06 caliber can be turn into using the same action , but changing the barrel and doing some work to the bolt and action .I would like to turn this 30 06 rifle into another caliber to build a long range shooter for my son , this kid can shoot ! I would like any advice or thoughts , I know 30 06 is a good round , but I already have 2 that I don’t use .

Is this a pre-64?

RR is right to ask if this is a pre-64. If it is, don't change it into something else. Check the value on the gun and you might be very surprised. I have a couple pre 64's and they stay in the safe. You will be money ahead to find something else to fit your needs. My 2 cents worth.

I would think that you and son would want to keep it as a 30-06 so it would he could pridefully say that it is same one his great gramps used. Convert one of your other 06 for him. My thoughts.

Might consider the 280AI and throat & twist it for a the longer, higher BC 180 Bergers VLDs. With the 280AI, you would not have to alter the bolt face. Nosler has brass and ammo.

I would go with a 6.5-06 imp or the 280 Imp if you want to make a long ranger out of it. If you go with the 6.5- get an 8.5 twist and the 280, a 9 twist barrel. The 284 Winchester is tearing up the 1000 target shooting world right now and the 280 is that in a long action. 6.5 gives you a better choice of accurate bullets and a little less recoil. Good Luck!

I would not change the rifle into something else, your son will never have another chance to pass on "his grandfathers" rifle to his kids. My oldest daughter killed her first game with her great-grandfathers .270win, the youngest killed hers with her grandmothers .244rem. They plan on passing these guns down to their kids because hunting is not a sport - it is a tradition.

If you want to build a rifle for your son start hitting pawn shops, pretty much all you are after for a custom gun is the action and for a couple hundred bucks you will be set.

Here's an idea.... Go with a 25-06, 25-06 imp., or maybe even a .25 Gibbs. (my fondness for quarter-bores showing a bit here). However, keep the original barrel and stock after you have your custom built. If sentiment gets to you down the road, you can always revert it back into Grampa's old '06 with a quick trip to the gunsmith.

Oh yeah, to answer your original question, the easiest switch in chamberings for your rifle would be anything based on the 30-06 case.. (6mm-06, 25-06, 6.5-06, .270, 280... ackley improved versions of all of these exist... and so on.)

Leave grandpas rifle as it is! Trust me, that is something you will for ever regret. Keep it the same, and if you want something "sexier" then buy another rifle. My most valued rifle is the one my grandfather hunted all over North America with. My dad used it to take his first Elk, and me my first Mountaion Lion. Trust me, you will regret breaking grandpas rifle down from what it is/was.