Sign in to follow this  
dogman68

spring mt. lion

Nice cat Randy! And thanks for letting him live to see another day... perhaps he'll live aonther year or two so my son Kade can chase him when he's old enough to keep up with the dogs :)

Nice cat, but why did you let him go?

Why not let him go. No reason to kill him. Also if I use my tag I am done until the new year.

I imagine you learned a ton about that lion during those 9 days of hunting him.

It does look like he has a collar on him. Was he collared Randy or am I seeing things in that pic?

Nice cat! I don't think most deer hunters will understand why you let him go. They need to hunt lions a few times and understand that the thrill is in the chase, and that they aren't out there under every bush eating up all the deer.

Nice cat, but why did you let him go?

Why not let him go. No reason to kill him. Also if I use my tag I am done until the new year.

Thats a good reason, I was just curious.

The lion had a collar. There are quite a few collared lions left over from the urban lion study. While they are legal to take I felt it is good to show some co-operation with the folks that do that sort of thing. And also the fact there was no reason to kill him. If you spend some time hunting them you quickly learn that most of the "lions kill a deer a week etc etc etc" is just old wives tales. I doubt there are enough deer in arizona for a lion to even kill a deer a week. If you think about it, they estimate 2500 lions in arizona------a deer a week would be upwards of 130,000 deer a year that lions take in arizona---------its probably mathematically impossible. My experience has been they supplement their diet with mostly small animals--------skunks, coyotes, etc etc. Most studies have shown that a lion kills on average, 12-14 big game animals a year. I know there are exceptions of course. Here is a large male lion that has a badger killed. It is under the pile of dirt.

post-575-1274190462_thumb.jpg

Good info and pics!! Sounds like allot of trailing and the reward of seeing him close, but had it ben me I woulda taken my first lion... That's a nice Tom!