Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

Poacher Of the 2 Bighorns caught.

Here’s what the Wildlife Manager Supervisor from Region 6, Tim Holt, had to say about the 2010 sheep hunt in Unit 24B North.

"We are still going to have the hunt in Unit 24B North. Recent surveys (Fall 2009) indicate that the removal of two rams in this poaching incident may impact but will not likely adversely impact the Unit 24B North sheep population or the availability of rams for the hunt in Fall 2010."

Below is a press release that was emailed to me by someone at G&F.

Here is how we can help. G&F is looking for "massive exposure in the media" regarding this case as it pertains to the message below:

This crime was performed by a poacher not a hunter

Hunters are in fact wild life conservationist

Violators will be punished

If you're a member to another blob (sorry Amanda); know someone who knows someone in the media let them see the press release. Unfortunately, the media has a way of spinning a story so it has to reference the comments by the G&F in the article.

Arizona Game and Fish Department

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release, May 19, 2010

Public’s assistance leads to arrest in Canyon Lake bighorn sheep poaching

PHOENIX – The Arizona Game and Fish Department has charged an individual with four wildlife law violations in connection with an alleged illegal killing of a bighorn sheep ram near the southern shore of Canyon Lake, northeast of Apache Junction.

The arrest was made after the department received information from the public through its Operation Game Thief hotline, which is a silent witness line the public can utilize to report wildlife violations.

Game and Fish officers corroborated the information with evidence obtained at the crime scene and obtained and executed a search warrant on the suspect’s residence in Mesa. The officers received a full written confession from the suspect and seized evidence from the residence, including the firearm he admitted was involved in the alleged illegal shooting and a desert bighorn sheep head which was buried in the backyard.

Department officers cited the individual for taking a bighorn sheep during closed season, possessing/transporting an unlawfully taken bighorn sheep, taking a bighorn sheep without a permit-tag, and waste of game meat.

More charges may be pending based on evidence seized at the residence, and the investigation is ongoing.

The department began investigating in late April after an employee with the Dolly Steamboat called in a report of a dead bighorn sheep by the shore of the lake. Further investigation found one dead bighorn ram with its head removed and indications of being illegally shot, and a second dead bighorn ram about 100 yards away with its head intact. Because of the decomposed condition of the second carcass, it was difficult to ascertain whether unlawful take was involved with this animal.

Multiple tips came in after the department issued a May 4 news release offering a reward of up to $8,000 for information leading to the arrest of a suspect in the cases. The Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society also offered a reward of up to $1,000 per sheep for information leading to a conviction in either case, and the Arizona Bowhunters Association offered a $1,000 reward for a conviction.

The suspect has only been charged in connection with one of the bighorn sheep.

If convicted of the misdemeanor violations, the individual could face penalties of up to $3,000 and a year in jail. He would also face civil sanctions from the Arizona Game and Fish Commission.

“Poachers aren’t hunters, and the public should not confuse the two,” said Brian Wakeling, chief of game management for Game and Fish. “One of the truly unfortunate aspects of poaching is that it may result in the reduction of legal hunting opportunities. Hunting regulations are formulated to be biologically sustainable, yet someone who illegally takes wildlife does not consider any of the biological implications."

Wakeling pointed out that as many as 18,000 people have applied in a year for the opportunity to draw the fewer than 100 bighorn sheep permits generally authorized annually by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission.

“Illegal take of wildlife certainly influences the number of permits we can recommend, regardless of which game species we consider," Wakeling said.

Operation Game Thief Program Manager Ken Dinquel said it’s gratifying to have the support of hunters and other members of the public in helping solve these types of cases.

"Although hunters pay for the largest share of wildlife conservation through license and tag fees, poaching adversely affects more than just hunters,” said Dinquel. “Poachers steal from everyone because wildlife is managed in the public trust for all citizens to enjoy. That’s why it’s in the public’s best interest to report wildlife law violations to the Operation Game Thief hotline.”

Anyone with information regarding a wildlife law violation should contact the Operation Game Thief hotline at (800) 352-0700 or via the web at www.azgfd.gov/thief. All calls will remain confidential and rewards can be paid if the information leads to an arrest of a violator.

Penalties up to $3000??? Seriously??? There should be at least one more zero in there.

Easy 270. Knowing his name won't bring those sheep back. We're all pretty upset.

Have a great day

BJ

easy? usually they can't wait to plaster somebodies name all over the place. who does this joker know? all they hafta do is say "alledged". heck, it might be my neighbor. this is bs. they need to get this guys name out there. embarrass him a little. "an individual" doesn't say much, especially given the gravity of the situation. splatter his name around. Lark.

The sheep poacher's name is....PAUL DAVID COX!! I saw a little story on channel 3 news, then tried googling around to find more information on him and could not find anything. Maybe they are trying to keep his name quiet for some reason and 3tv made a mistake in airing the story.

The sheep poacher's name is....PAUL DAVID COX!! I saw a little story on channel 3 news, then tried googling around to find more information on him and could not find anything. Maybe they are trying to keep his name quiet for some reason and 3tv made a mistake in airing the story.

Yeah thats him. I was not going to release his name due to all of the death threats he and his family have gotten already.

Granted he is a dip sh%*, his family should not have to go through it...

If you don't want death treats don't poach bighorns... SIMPLE. I say screw that guy, he could've been caught up in the moment, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or just broke up with his girlfriend and wanted to let off some steam. Bottom line is he POACHED NOT ONE BUT TWO RAMS. I hope he gets what is coming to him, whether it is a life looking over his shoulder or prison. And if he was in my family I would disown him.

If you don't want death treats don't poach bighorns... SIMPLE. I say screw that guy, he could've been caught up in the moment, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or just broke up with his girlfriend and wanted to let off some steam. Bottom line is he POACHED NOT ONE BUT TWO RAMS. I hope he gets what is coming to him, whether it is a life looking over his shoulder or prison. And if he was in my family I would disown him.

From what I understand, the other ram was to far gone to determine cause of death. I suspect it died and just happened to be 100 yards from the one that was poached. It was dead a lot longer than the one he shot.

Please do not think I am defending the guy... I just feel bad for the guy's family. and the sheep and hunters who will miss out...

Isn't this type of poaching a felony? I always wonder why some of these guy's don't get arrested, but get a handful of tickets instead, and then have to show up to court?

Glad the game thief got caught!

Why would it be a felony? Just because it is a sheep???

Not sure what you are getting at.

Good, it's people like him that ruin our rights and what people think of us.