Sign in to follow this  
lfootmatt

36b 12/16 - 12/31 hunt

Here is a link to the website for the org that puts the trash pick-up together: http://www.azhunterswhocare.org/index.html You'll also likely see reminders posted to this site when the time approaches.

The clean-up effort is on Saturday only, but Mike (and several other G&F officers & others...) generally camp-out the Friday & Saturday nights. Good food & good times, along with lots of good talk about the deer in the area.

S.

:(

You have the best tag for the year in my opinion. I spend a lot of time in that area. Its as rough as any place you will go. I havew a few favorite spots that are not very hard to get to. Send me a PM and I will send you the GPS coordinates. There is a ton of foot traffic. It is not the best idea to go alone and if you do stay put and glass. Not just for the coues. If your heading out to scout this weekend. Take Ruby Road just past the Warsaw Canyon turnoff. STay on Ruby for about another mile. As you see flats onthe left there will be an old ore shaft and mine onthe right side. The jeep trail runs back into the area most people go into by vehicle at the turn off. The area to the right is great. It leads to a big high bowl filled with all teh goodies Coues like to eat. If you head to the left about 1/2 mile across the flats there are a couple small slot canyons just above them is a rather innocous looking hill. Climb up there and follow the sun glass to the West from the bottom and the East from the Top. If you go too far you will see old Glory appear on the horizon go back.

N31 27.746 W111 15.074

the mine I was talking about

I told my pap and mam I was going to Arivaca to camp and hunt coues deer, acted like they was gut shot. they said son, take your tag go here, heres where the deers is. Them mountains is for smugglers and illegals! I said mother Gue, Arivaca is the marrow of the world, and by God I was right!!!!

I cant wait to get down there again this year.......woo hoo!!!

BRAVO!! BRAVO!! Well done AjoHunter! :)

Mother Gue never raised such a fool child!

Chief by the name of Mad Wolf, nice fella dont talk a whole heck of alot...........say you wouldnt happen to have an extra hat on ya would you?

I've got this figured this out! There aren't really any deer in Arizona. this is just one big joke on me to see what crazy place I'll rock crawl my truck to and then hike through a forest of Ocotillo and shin diggers to sit in the sun all day and look at nothing.

Ha Ha, joke's on me.

Took the hunter access road off the I-19 Chavez Siding Exit. Glassed near Sardina Peak. terrain looked right, elevation, tank nearby should be good, right?

Didn't see squat!!! Took too long to get back there, road was too rough to make good time.

I'll try again next weekend.

Thanks for the help,

matt

your gonna have to walk a ways off that road. there's a lot of road hunters that drive up and down on quads during hunting season.the good part is that once you walk about 1/2 a mile from the roads you'll start seeing a lot of good deer. 2 years ago I shot a decent buck in that area after I walked in about 1 1/2 miles.most quad hunters stay near the roads and don't walk in very far so I don't mind seeing a bunch of guys riding around.

I took a service road off the access road that leads to to the MW relay station at the top of sardina peak. I glassed from near the truck for a couple of hours and then hiked to a point 1/2 mile away to glass another ridge line. No deer, but was really windy so they might have been bedded down hard. I don't mind a bit of a hike. What I'm trying to do is find a spot that is holding bucks, get to know the drive and hike in during light, then I'll start going in when I'm comfortable doing it pre dawn and after dusk. I was in some areas I had no business being in by my self during the day much less in the dark!

I'm still wanting a quad or even better an old land cruiser w/ a GM drive train and sick suspension. But that's a longterm project.

Thanks, Matt

your gonna have to walk a ways off that road. there's a lot of road hunters that drive up and down on quads during hunting season.the good part is that once you walk about 1/2 a mile from the roads you'll start seeing a lot of good deer. 2 years ago I shot a decent buck in that area after I walked in about 1 1/2 miles.most quad hunters stay near the roads and don't walk in very far so I don't mind seeing a bunch of guys riding  around.

Land cruisers ride like tanks, if you want a slick set up, get a 97 and newer Wrangler which has a coil spring suspension. Put on a 2 1/2" Rancho RC suspension with 9,000 shocks. These shocks can be adjusted down to a low stiffness for offroad, and a high stiffness for highway. With the shocks set on the lowest setting, along with the tires aired down to 15lbs., it takes up the bumps real nice.

I went way back, By road past PUERTO Spring to near Sardina peak which has a MW relay station on top of it. almost 9 miles by road (I use that term loosely) 4 low for the majority, over 5 miles as the crow flies. Used GPS to get approx distances, haven't downloaded the actual tracks yet. I went too far back to be pratical unless camping, took over 2 hours each way. 01 3/4 ton suburban, 4X4, 8.1L w/ 4.10 gears. It has plenty of power to go just about anywhere, but it's long wheel base makes it tough, did alot of angled approaches to get over obstructions. One rock face took sheer power, very steep, couldn't backup or turn around, it didn't want to go so I gassed it, then the lockers in the diffs locked and it climbed it with ease. Not bad for a kid/boat hauler.

Only bottemed it once and that was at a crawl on the receiver hitch, very slightly dragged it over a rock. didn't think much until I got home. If anyone finds an AL, oval "TEAM MASTERCRAFT" hitch plate end piece it's mine. OOPS! Wife was not pleased, and I missed dinner with the in-laws. So much for the quad unless I can sleep in it!

I'll be back out there this Sunday I'll keep trying until I find some bucks. I refuse to waste my December General Antlered WT Tag for lack of effort!

Thanks for the help!

Matt

PS If anyone wants to give me GPS coordinates of an area holding a 120+ buck in 36b I'd be eternally grateful!!!

how far did you go back in there? from the hi-way.are you talking about the tank on the right( you pass it and look back to the north east.this is about 3 miles in? mike

I'm thinking you were walking on them Coues. They sure are hard to find. Kinda like learning to shoot a pistol. You can't hit crap and then all foa suddne you look down the barrel and the sight lines up the weapon is flat your not choking it anymore and wham 6 in the black. Thats what I equate finding Coues too.

Think small dog with the the ability to disappear.

You don't hear them, you can never see them move and one day they are just there. I can't explain it, but I think the find the Coues page Amanda set up does a great job of showing how they hide in plain site.

I am convinced the safest place for a couse deer to be is right out in the open.