Sign in to follow this  
Azlongears

Puma De Mayo!

Timberland Outfitter's Tines went out with me yesterday and made a perfect shot with his bow on this old male lion. It was hot, but the dogs stuck with it. Congrats again Buddy on a great trophy!!!!

post-192-1274291535_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291706_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291635_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291735_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291764_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291861_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291792_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291824_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291871_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291914_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291942_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291962_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291979_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274291993_thumb.jpg

post-192-1274292012_thumb.jpg

Guest 300ultramag.

beauty of a lion! you guys must have done a heck of a job keeping the dogs cool to keep trailing in the heat.

my hat goes off to all involved..

Thanks for the kind words guys.

We carried 2 extra gallons of water along to let the dogs drink, it really makes a difference in their performance, one of the reasons why we try and hunt little dogs, drink less water :P

AK

Congrats on a great cat! Awesome pictures as well, thanks guys.

Right on guys. That old tom sure looks like hes been to heck and back. lol

All credit to Andy and his dogs, guys. 2 1/2 yrs ago I met Andy and he's been nothing but reliable and consistent in everything from hunting to just plain being a friend. Just a few days ago he spent all day on my sisters roof with me while we finished re-roofing her house. And just like Andy fashion, he wouldn't take anything in return. That's hard to come by these days. I also don't know of a person more dedicated to perfecting the skill of being a houndsman than Andy, and this was just an example of his hard work finally paying off. I was just the lucky one who got to tag along.

This was an incredible experience. I couldn't believe how high up that lion went! I was just a few feet from the base of the tree and I ranged straight up and got 22 yards. That's 66 feet! "Luckily" the canyon was so steep on each side that I could get a decent angle at him. This was my view of the shot I took. I had to tuck the arrow in-between his arm and the branch.

post-500-1274324047_thumb.jpg

On a side note, some of you might remember how Andy almost killed me on my WT hunt last year, right? Well, how naive would I be to think that nothing would happen on this hunt? As I was trying to get up the canyon as fast as possible, and using my hands to climb up some rocks, I put my hand literally about 8 inches from a rattlesnake! If hearing the dogs weren't motivation enough, those rattles gave me quite the adrenaline boost. To top it off, a few hundred yards later, as I grabbed a hold of a branch to break it off and push through the brush, it snapped right at my hand and came back and hit me right in the side of the face!! No kidding, I saw stars and my bell was RINGING! It was about the diameter of a baseball bat handle. You can see the battle wound to the side of my face. I haven't been hit that hard since high school and fighting was "cool".

post-500-1274326703_thumb.jpg

Thanks again, Andy!

One more thing. I checked him in with Jim Heffelfinger today and he aged the lion at 8-10yrs old (but probably closer to the 9-10yr mark based on other wearing). Wow!