Sign in to follow this  
Mangum

Walking stick/staff

I used a walking staff on my last outing that was about as tall as I am. It was a big help especially going down steep slops and crossing fallen trees. We covered about 6 miles, a normal trip for us, I noticed a considerable difference in how much energy I had left at the end of the day.

I was wondering what your take is on a walking aid in the woods or on the trail?

I ALWAYS have a mono pod with the rubber V on the top when scoutting. I also find I have more energy when the day is done. I alos use it for the peskey snakes to move them off the trail. Mine is adjustable from bout 3 1/2 feet to 5 1/2 feet. I love it..

Lots of us have been using "Moses sticks" for at least 30-40 years, ever since the late taxidermist John Doyle and his friends Seymore and Jim Levy originated and promoted them.

No need to spend any money or to get fancy with them. Just strip a sotol stalk of its chaff and cut it so it comes to your forehead when standing on level ground. The thin end goes down, and you can put a rubber cane tip on it if you want.

These sticks are good for steadying yourself when coming off a mountain, but they also will do wonders for steadying your 10X binoculars. They need to be forehead height to use them when standing.

Bill Quimby

Bill - you stole my thunder........I was going to point out the glass steadying aspect, except mine are 15's.

In addition to Sotol or Agave stalks Saguaro ribs make nice sticks too, but are quite a bit heavier. Just sand them down and stick em in a 1 lb coffee can half full of lemon oil, the rib will draw the oil right up. I also have put rubber cane tips on the bottom of the ones we use.

I'm with you all on the no money spent thing. The one I used was a sapling sized dry Alder and thats because that was just what was available. I agree with Bill on the highth a staff should be. not only does it steady your binos but it gives you a little more reach on steep slops or while crossing a creek.

I have made a couple and like one for going down steep slopes. I have put some tennis grip tape on the staff at elbow level for added grip and comfort.

I suspect these have been around since before Mr Doyle, since before even Moses ;)

A few years ago, a buddy of mine made several 'walking sticks' out of Yucca stalks.

He gave me one, and I was skeptical at first..... I've now had this "Yucca walking stick" for 15 years, and it's great! The end of it has kind of gotten mashed-down a bit over the years and is kind of soft, which actually acts just like a little rubber silencer on the end as you're walking. I really like it....

S.

:)

I make them out of yucca all the time. I take a handfull to e every family reunion each year to fill orders for family that wants me. I did buy one made by hunt stick. It is a good sturdy stick. It is made oun of some kind of conduit of something. I wish I could figure out where to get the conduit material because my family liked it as well and I could make some up for them.