Just returned for an amazing spot and stalk archery black bear hunt in the beautiful Misty Fjords of South East Alaska. I went with a guide out of Ketchikan whom I later learned is also a member here on CWT. Johnnie Laird with Muskeg Excursions.

Sorry this is such a huge picture laden post... Bear with me guys (hehe pun intended) I just went through over 300 pictures trying to figure out the ones to post... The scenery up there is incredible!

Flew into Ketchikan and spent the night, we were to take a float plane to a bay off the Portland Canal, approx. 63 miles east of Ketch. as the crow flies, but 45 minutes flight time.

IMG_4522.jpg

Alaska's version of a taxi - Carlin Air

IMG_4533.jpg

Away we go

IMG_4542.jpg

Up & Over

IMG_4825.jpg

Into the bay we will hunt in for the next week

IMG_4570.jpg

In the back of the bay is a large tidal flat, this is where we will hunt, watching for bears to come out and feed on the new grass.

IMG_4566.jpg

Because of the 'No Same Day Fly and Hunt' rule we settled into putting camp together. Here is our Kitchen and My husband and my tent.

IMG_4589.jpg

Even our own battery operated electric fence. My husband was very conscientious about checking to make sure it was turned on!

IMG_4787.jpg

Our mode of transportation, a Zodiac

IMG_4649.jpg

On our way to the tidal flat, excited but very nervous... Roger and Johnnie look confident!

IMG_4597.jpg

We glassed the flats for hours, the weather was off and on, sometimes raining and blowing hard.

IMG_4609.jpg

We spotted a nice cinnamon bear and put on a stalk, he spotted us and took off. We moved our setup and didn't see anything until we headed out. We tried to stalk again, but he winded us. It was a good day, nice to get some stalks, but I was cold and ready to get back to camp and dry out the gear.

IMG_4791.jpg

Nothing like a campfire and new friends

IMG_4715.jpg

Next day the rain wasn't as bad but we were plagued with very heavy canal winds. We didn't spot anything that day. Typically Johnnie says they see 10 - 12 bears a day in this area. It has been slow this year, they have had a very mild Winter and a early Spring so maybe that had something to do with it. I am still optimistic and having a great time.

IMG_4620.jpg

Because we don't want food smell in camp we dine mainly on Mtn. House (which I discovered isn't half bad)

IMG_4624.jpg

We were able to set some traps and supplement our dinner menu with wonderful all you could eat crab!!!!

32438_1199446564771_1786757651_4082.jpg

Fresh brewed coffee is a must in my book, my view every morning with my 'cup-a-joe' was spectacular!

IMG_4625.jpg

continued..... (sorry) :unsure:

Day three found us back out in the flats, the rain had let up, but the wind was still bad. We decided to hike up the tidal flats to get a look at the upper end during the low (incoming) tide.

00small57634616.jpg

As we were looking in the low spots for fresh sign in the sand and mud Johnnie happened to spot a Bear across the river. It was low tide but coming in fast. He was on the far bank moving along feeding into the wind. We went to see if we could find a spot to cross. We found it crossable up stream and down wind. Roger stayed on the opposite side to keep track of the bear and give us hand signals to let us know which way he was headed.

IMG_4637.jpg

After a 200-250 yard classic stalk the last little bit on hands and knees, I stood and took a 32 yard shot into a very strong headwind. The shot hit low, but the bear reeled around and headed into the forest. Upon looking at the arrow we saw that we had a pass through with good bright red blood, we could also see a lot of blood on the ground where he went into the forest. We hurried back across the river before the tide got too high so we could pick up the boat and Roger who had a ring-side seat to the whole show! Here is a picture of me right after crossing the river again, obviously flying high with excitement!

00small58485818.jpg

After about an hour we went into the very thick jungle-like forest. We followed an excellent blood trail for about 100 yards and found my bear!

00small18122198.jpg

The best hunting partner a girl could ask for!!!

IMG_4683.jpg

Johnnie Laird w/Muskeg Excursions - great guide!!! Had the bear skinned and quartered in no time and carried the boar out.

IMG_4695.jpg

We were one happy group! We spent the next day fleshing and salting the bear and enjoying the scenery. Called the float plane via sat. phone for a next day pick-up.

IMG_4726.jpg

De Plane De Plane!!!

IMG_4804.jpg

Back to Ketchikan to get the bear sealed by Game & Fish then off to Johnnie’s cabin on Prince of Whales Island for a couple of days of sightseeing, fishing and a little R&R! (I won’t even try to fit those pics on LOL) :blink:

IMG_4806.jpg

Wow, thanks for sharing. That was amazing! You are one tough girl to take that on and my hats off to you. I can't wait to shake your hand some day. :)

TJ

Ilene, will you be at the cwt outing next week? If so could you bring some more pictures? :)

TJ

AWESOME!! Sounds like alot of excitement and fun... Congrats! ;)

WoW!!!! That's so awesome!! Yes, I am with TJ, come to Marshall Lake campout this weekend and bring pics and the skull if you have it. Oh and bring some of that all you can eat crab meat! LOL!

Holy smokes.....way cool B) B) B) ...big congrats, and thanks for sharing with us....max

Thanks all! I unfortunately will not be able to make Marshall Lake, I have a family reunion up in Utah that weekend... Amanda, I never thought I could get tired of crab meat but I think I'll lay off it for a while, we ate a ton of it!

WOW! Another outstanding adventure you had! Congrats on a great spot n stalk archery bear, that's a huge accomplishment! Thanks for all the great pics and for the story, it brings back some awesome memories from when I did a drop camp up there for moose, there's no experience like it! JIM>

Congrats....I know you had a great time. It's one of the best places on earth.

Here's Johnnie Laird's Central Arizona coues deer from a few years ago.

johnniecoues3.jpg

Congrats....I know you had a great time. It's one of the best places on earth.

Here's Johnnie Laird's Central Arizona coues deer from a few years ago.

johnniecoues3.jpg

Hey DesertBull, I heard all about that hunt and all about you! Johnnie said it's about time he comes back here to AZ and hunt again!