Sign in to follow this  
kaibabkiller

Elk bugles

A buddy and I are gearing up for his 4a archery bull hunt this September. I was just wondering which bugles and cow calls everyone prefers.

Seems like everyone I know wants to sound like the biggest, baddest bull in the unit. Why? You've got a 350 bull with a few cows on the next ridge over. You think he wants to risk losing them to the King of the Mountain?

Seems like everyone I know wants to sound like the biggest, baddest bull in the unit. Why? You've got a 350 bull with a few cows on the next ridge over. You think he wants to risk losing them to the King of the Mountain?

Ya exactly! i would just stick to cow calls or punie sounding bugles or something..

sometimes you hafta sound like a bit ol' bull in order to get a reaction from the other bulls. but once you get in sorta close, cow callin' is what works. and learn to cow call. these stinkin' duck call deals they use on tv sound really stupid. sound like a rusty gate. cows make all kindsa different sounds, especially when they're close. you need to be learn to imitate them and have a sorta sweet sound to your cow calls. personally, i can use a triple reed call a lot better than anything else and can make cow sounds and sound like about any kinda bull. can't make the thin reeds work for some reason. and get a good tube. i use an old abe and sons with a diaphram call through it. Lark.

Thanks for the info so far,fellas. This afternoon I bought two diaphrams a single and a three reed. I havent had to use these things since 2001 archery season, this is gonna take some practice!

Mouth reeds are great but it's kinda a toss-up for me.I use to use them all the time until a cow and a spike came and ate my favorite reed.I was letting it dry on my lap in a tree stand..long story short i forgot about it and stood up ,it fell to the ground and they ate it right below me. You have to let them dry out and keep track off them all the time.Lotts off people like the hoochie momma,i carry one in my pocket just because but the range of different sounds is'nt that great ,dood for stopping a bull quick though.My favorite is the primos hyper-lip single with the sound muffle on it. It sound real crisp and you can take the muffle off to reach out there a ways if needed. To me a lot off other's sound more like duck calls when they arent used properly. As far as bugles i love my sceery.

+1 on the rubbing large branches against a tree to sound like an elk raking his antlers against a tree, it really does seem to bring them in. You don't even have to bugle to do that. Do some cow calls and then just raking a tree can work.

My dad has an old reed bugle that sounds like a sissy bull, it can work real well. The blue tipped primos bugles work well if you dont like diaphrams. The sonic dome diaphrams are easier to make sound pretty good, all the time. I haul a bunch of reeds and a grunt tube. Try stuff out the week before to see what works, most guys over call and run their bull off.

I am a K&H fan when it comes to diaphram calls. Double reeds work best when I am out. cow calls, deep grunts, high squeeks of a young bull. But just need to find on that works for you. When I get them dudes going I usually do a little popping noise with my lips and my grunt tube.

-Jeremy-

Mouth reeds are great but it's kinda a toss-up for me.I use to use them all the time until a cow and a spike came and ate my favorite reed.I was letting it dry on my lap in a tree stand..long story short i forgot about it and stood up ,it fell to the ground and they ate it right below me. You have to let them dry out and keep track off them all the time.Lotts off people like the hoochie momma,i carry one in my pocket just because but the range of different sounds is'nt that great ,dood for stopping a bull quick though.My favorite is the primos hyper-lip single with the sound muffle on it. It sound real crisp and you can take the muffle off to reach out there a ways if needed. To me a lot off other's sound more like duck calls when they arent used properly. As far as bugles i love my sceery.

Yea! I love the hyper lip single with sound muffler, it worls wonders man!!

I always carry several different calls. It seems sometimes, for what ever reason they respond better to one sound more than another. Last year I used all of them trying to call in a bull for my son. I used the the hyper lip, hoochie mama, and a mouth call. Sounded like a whole herd of cows. I couldn't quite get him over the top of the ridge for a shot but he was going crazy. I didn't even carry a bugle but I think one would have worked here as he came on up I think looking for a fight when I started "scraping" on a pine tree.

I have the super pack but found it a bit difficult, I have the Terminator and I was able to learn it pretty quick I think it sounds better. For cow calls I got the Hyper Lip and IMAKADABULLCRAZY. The Hyper lip is my favorite so far. This is the first time I have heard of the muffle, I will have to check that out. I have to drive 2 hours every day so I use that time to practice. Kind of loud bugling in a closed cab doing 65mph.....I get some wierd looks :lol: I will not use the bugle unless I think it is necesary, I like to sneak in and use the cow calls. Hopefully my 2 hours a day practice pays off in Sept!