Sign in to follow this  
Whitehntr

Carrying a handgun while archery hunting?

I heard from a friend that own a gun store in Flagstaff that they changed the law on carrying a handgun while archery hunting. Can anyone verify this information, or tell me the law that strictly prohibits this. Thanks

Your best bet is to get it from the horses mouth...the AZGFD. There is an office in Flagstaff so it will be a local call. When you find out let us all know. You'd hate to get screwed just hearing some hear say from someone else....that or get eaten when you could have been packin'.

Sorry I wasn't more help but that's what I'd do.

Scott

There are a few member here that do pack when archery huting in certain spots. The way I see it, as long as it's in my pack, and the deer (or what ever) does not appear to be shot with a gun, there is no need to have anyone else know.

I do not believe this is true.

From page 64 of the online PDF.

AZGF Regulations state:

R12-4-318

section C2

"An individual participating in an "archery only" season shall use and posess only a bow and arrow as prescribed in R12-4-304, and shall not use or possess any other weapons, including crossbows or any other bows with a device that holds the bow in a drawn position, except as authorized by R12-4-216."

R12-4-216 is a special authorization for the use of a crossbow.

I do not know if having a concealed carry permit would authorize a hunter to carry a handgun.

Hope that helps. I would verify from AZGF though.

A CCW permit does not allow you to carry a firearm. At least that is what I remember from my class.

Our instructor also told a story that a man was hunting and ran into a WM in the woods and during there talk the WM saw the hunter had a large revolver in a sholder holster set up under his coat(not in plain sight) and was given a ticket for not having a CCW permit.

No CCW permit, keep it in plain sight!

B)

Wow that sucks. What if it's raining, you can't have your sidearm under your raincoat?

I know where I hunt you are getting written up for carrying a firearm during bow season no matter what, end of story.

BASS, sounds like if it's in your backpack it is considered a concealed weapon?

Nontheless if you ever have to use it I pray that you can get to it fast enough

I would think it would be considered concealed. But like they say I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. (or never found at all)

On the flip side, the first main thing to consider is cover, then returned fire. It doesn't make sense to shoot back at a target from an open area. I see nothing but problems from wearing an auto on your hip during an archery season. It's just too easy to get to, and I think most GFD agents wouldn't think twice for writting you up. Of course I only carry when by myself, in a unit I do not trust. If I'm north of the valley, it will most likly be at camp.

when hunting the 36's sitting on water.it is tough to do when you know at any moment they could be walking by with only a bow in hand.If you do hunt down there it is a good idea to have a hunting buddy close by with radio contact.that is a bad feeling.been there got the browny button.

I would think it would be considered concealed. But like they say I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. (or never found at all)

Amen to that Bass. Write out that ticket Mr Ranger, and I will pay it knowing that I kept myself safe and able to pay it. As I said on another post, when my government does what I pay it to do I will gladly leave the sidearm at home.

Guest Ernesto C

Even with the CWP that will still be illegal.

but.....what if if they decide not to only give you a ticket but to take your hunting privileges away also because you knew the rules but still decide to carry the fire arm?

Ernesto C

Unload guns when not in use

Then I become more of a crook because I poach from there on out. :P :P

( JUST A JOKE) :D

I would think that most wardens would understand, but you would still be breaking the law, if they wanted to ticket you then you would go to court and show the statistics of the amount of people crossing the border daily, including the amount of people they find dead in that area, you could even get a border patrol agent to testify on your behalf, I think a jury is letting you off, depending on the judge it could get thrown out. I have not heard of a hunter shooting any illegals, during archery or rifle seasons, have you, I think most hunters allow them to walk by without being noticed or try to avoid conflict, we are usually looking for something else.

Scottyboy in your opinion would you hunt down south during archery season without a sidearm, just curious, and if you can't answer that I completely understand.

I just went back and printed out the story as reprinted here on this sight about the archery hunter who was murdered. As one who hunts alone from time to time I will put this in my pack with my tags and licence. Should the need arise I will show it to the warden as evidence that I not only am packing knowingly but willfully. Should he then decide to ticket me I will fight it with the judge. That would suck to have your hunting privileges taken away. It would suck even more to have your living privileges taken away. I REFUSE TO BECOME A VICTIM !! Especially to people who have no right to be here in my country! To each his own, but choose wisely. :P

Well said GRIZZLY.