Sign in to follow this  
Whitehntr

Carrying a handgun while archery hunting?

I don't see anything wrong with having a pistol during an archery hunt. I don't see anything wrong with having a rifle with you during an archery hunt. I can't stand laws that are there only to make someones job simple. If someone pouches then it is the G&f job to catch them. But instead of cathing them they make up a bunch of rules to make it almost inpossible for someone to have fun while hunting. It isn't the G&f job to take away our temtations.(using a pistol to shoot a deer during archery season) It is their job to catch the sob that do.

I gotta chime in here, fellow enthusiasts, I have read some really good analogies hera and have to say that I agree!! with all of 'em!, here's how you skirt the issue, as I am surely not the only thinkin of this, get yerself a over the counter lion tag and call it good (year round, any 'defined' state approved weapon) and avoid any problems!! Please correct me if there's somthin I have missed good luck -mike-

I asked AZGF that very question when I had an archery spring bear tag and a spring turkey tag. I asked if I could legally carry a shotgun and archery equiptment and the answer was no, you have to choose which one you wanted to do, not both.

I personally carry a handgun when I am archery hunting in the southern units, I keep it concealed which is legal since I carry a CCW but not neccesarily legal to carry when I am archery hunting but I will deal with that problem if it ever arises.

i do the same thing, buy a lion tag and then it is all good! i really dont think that a G&F officer would give ya a hard time if you have a postil with a lion tag while hunting. i carry my pistol while rifle hunting!

I never bowhunt without a sidearm. I think my personal safety should come first. I have run in to many a border crosser, evan have them on my cameras. If a ticket ever comes I will fight it on the grounds of self preservation is above the law. Anyway I a much better shot with my bow.

I too asked a GFD officer about this. He laughed, and said that as long as it's out of their view they can't find what they can't see. :huh: Not the answer I was looking for, so I asked if I could always carry. He said that the rules say you can't carry anything more powerful than what is on the tag. IE No firearms during an archery only hunt, no centerfire rifles/pistols during a Muzzleloader hunt. But during a general hunt anything goes. As for just buying a lion tag, he said you have to choose what you are hunting, then carry what the least powerful weapon tag says. IE if you have a bear tag, a lion tag, and an archery deer tag, and you want to hunt all three at the same time, you have to only use the archery tackle.

Kind of like Microsoft Word, the newer can go older but the older can't go newer, you can carry a less powerful weapon, but can't carry a more powerful weapon than what the tag says.

I recently took a hunters ed class and the AZGF warden said its a gray area in that if your in unit 21 youll be sighted--36 or 1 or any known trouble spots it is un likely

call your regional office, talk to a game warden, get thier name and AO and write down what they say. and to be safe buy the regulation book(about 2-3" thick) read it and carry it w/ you and cross verrify your info.

I would say a revolver w/ snake shot would be OK ,could be used as an emergency singnal too??my .02

Ill be expecting change as well :P

Law and regulation are made to create a safe environment for society. When the safe environment is taken away, common sense should make our decisions for us, not law. Common sense tells me that if my life is in danger, I'm packin'. If some punk vato esse guarding a stash wants to put my life in danger, he'll get some .44 lead wizzin by his head. Grizzly said it well. If the Judge wants to lay the hammer down on a good ol boy trying to protecting his own life, so be it.

Oh, unit 1 a trouble spot? Did I miss an important meeting or something?

;) JVS, Could not have said it better. The Judge could through a really big book at me, but I'll still be alive. Don't do the archery thing myself (at lest not yet), but if and when I do. I will be packing. Reguardless of what a "book" says. The law is the law. But this willbe my game of Survivor, and in that world I AM THE LAW! :P

It all depends on the WM that u see or talk to. Most of them are fellow hunters and understand the need for protection (cause u know they are carrying) it also depends on where u are hunting i.e high risk areas and what type of pistol if u a have scoped .44 or .357 then they might think hmmmm WHY. but if u have a 9mm or 40 glock nonhunting weapon then they may decide its only for protection and give ya warning. I carry a side arm when bow hunting and have been "reminded" many times that i cant carry it while bowhunting but never a ticket as of yet, if i do get one then its straight to the courts with my picket sign. I have come back to camp and had it destroyed by hmmm well u know who. So carry at own risk. cause i do

Guest Reynaldo de la Torre
I heard from a friend that own a gun store in Flagstaff that they changed the law on carrying a handgun while archery hunting.  Can anyone verify this information, or tell me the law that strictly prohibits this. Thanks

That would be carrying a concealed weapon without a permit - not legal. What did change was the time required to get a CCW - from 16 hours to 8. I live in Douglas and I understand the need for a handgun - beleive me. But it isn't worth the trouble of getting busted. Of course it would be worse to get shot up by dopers and they are out here. Most stick to the bottoms because their loads weigh them down. Forgive me if my info is a little off but I'm pretty sure that is how it is. I read this in the Douglas Dispatch a while back and DD is known for mistakes. Careful out there homies !

yes you can carry a hand gun on an archery hunt R12-4-216. an individual participating in an archery-only season may carry a handgun for personal protection providing the barrel does not exceed 6" in lenth..also see R12-4-304,R12-4-318. No worries any more.mike

I heard from a friend that own a gun store in Flagstaff that they changed the law on carrying a handgun while archery hunting.? Can anyone verify this information, or tell me the law that strictly prohibits this. Thanks

That would be carrying a concealed weapon without a permit - not legal. What did change was the time required to get a CCW - from 16 hours to 8. I live in Douglas and I understand the need for a handgun - beleive me. But it isn't worth the trouble of getting busted. Of course it would be worse to get shot up by dopers and they are out here. Most stick to the bottoms because their loads weigh them down. Forgive me if my info is a little off but I'm pretty sure that is how it is. I read this in the Douglas Dispatch a while back and DD is known for mistakes. Careful out there homies !

Where did ya see that I am looking in the book and cant find it?

Whitehntr, the regulation is found in R12-4-318 C. 2. Related to ?archery-only? season and the language pertaining to this would be ?shall use and possess only bow and arrow as prescribed in R12-4-304and shall not use of possess any other weapon?..?

In C. 3. Handguns are allowed in the HAM , handgun, archery and muzzleloader season.

Bowhunter4life, I?ve read and reread the regulations you listed in your statement, ?yes you can carry a hand gun on an archery hunt R12-4-216. an individual participating in an archery-only season may carry a handgun for personal protection providing the barrel does not exceed 6" in lenth..also see R12-4-304,R12-4-318. No worries any more.mike.? I have been unable to locate the exemption you state. I could have missed it. Will you tell me where it can be found in the regulation?

Some have indicated the wildlife manager wouldn?t cite them in certain units. I think ARS 17-309 E covers that pretty well. If it?s a violator getting a ticket or the wildlife manger being cited himself, I?ll bet the violator get the ticket.

Sounds like BASS nailed it.