Sign in to follow this  
NYAZHunter

game cameras and vandalism

Gentlemen and Ladies,

this is my first post and I will appreciate any thoughts you may have.

I hunt coues in the 36B unit and am entertaining the thought of game cameras for the first time .

Where I hunt seems to be a very active area for undocumented workers traveling through as well as some drug players. I evidence this by the trash left behind as well as DEA and Border Patrols frequent travels on the jeep trails in the area we camp.

I am concerned with the cameras being stolen / damaged . Anyone have any similar issues .

thanks

I buy inexpensive cameras for that reason alone. If you’re going to put cameras on water you’re going to have problems with UDA's. A week ago I went to check on my cameras and I found one of my cameras missing after looking in the tank I saw my strap floating, the only thing salvageable was the SD card. Yesterday I found two more cameras missing. I bounced into BP and they were telling me their cameras get stolen and bashed in by UDA's all the time, so they've started hanging them high up in trees. I would suggest getting some type of locking system for your cameras, that’s my next investment. Bottom line, if you use cameras you will eventually lose some.

One other thing I know some cameras have an auto flash, if yours do put a piece of tape over the flash. Who cares if you don't get pics a night, it's not your going to be hunting then anyhow.

good luck!

You should be concerned. Search this forum for the word "stolen" and you will see what I mean. Using a trailcam virtually anywhere comes with risk of it being vandalized or more likely stolen. I would think using them anywhere down south just increases the chance. you have UDAs, Drug Runners, BP ,other security contractors, and Do-gooders on top of other hunters and outdoorsmen. The more activity, the more likely you will be to lose your stuff.

If you dont mind throwing away cash then go for it. Personally I have considered it and it is an investment I am unwilling to make.

azslim,

No disagreements about seeing/locating deer in 36B . Just was looking at it as some entertainment as well as some confirmation.

I do appreciate the responses and look forward to some more posting of thoughts and questions. As a New Yorker who had not shot a deer more than 80 yards away , the hunting in this state has been an education.

I hope you get a tag this year and I am looking forward to your hunt story. Should be interesting to hear the story from a NY'ers perspective....

If your camera has a threaded hole in the bottom of it, you could use the Tree60 camera mount that I sell to mount the cam up higher and therefore less likely to be seen.

that cam mount can be found on this page:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/trail_cameras.htm

ya oughta sell claymoore mines and hook em up with a trip wire to the cameras. when ya take there pitcher with one o' them they won't bother em anymore. Lark.

I am not a new hunter to Arizona , have hunted here for about 20 years with some fair success. First hunt in 36C , the December hunt . Took a very nice 3 point . Then have hunted 36B for the last 18 years with success . I have property in the Catskill Mountains in New York and go back for ten days hunting whitetail. It was amazing for me to shoot my first Coues deer and have to put him on my back and carry him a mile back to camp. It was a that point ,that I realized what I had in New York was ' gentleman hunting' , cabin , wood stove , quads and a bed compared to tent ,firepit and sleeping on the ground in this great state.

Saw a Coues Whitetail.Com sticker on a truck in my north Phoenix neighborhood this morning.

Question regarding the October hunt in 36B : I always believed the dates of the hunt included the last full weekend in October . I see that this year it is earlier than it has ever been . Anyone have a thought on that.

Jim

Question regarding the October hunt in 36B : I always believed the dates of the hunt included the last full weekend in October . I see that this year it is earlier than it has ever been . Anyone have a thought on that.

Jim

It will still be hot, find water and pick your buck!