kidso

Central Arizona Bear

Great job on the archery bear! One of my greatest accomplishments was a spot n' stalk archery bear, I'll never forget it! Congrats on your accomplishment! JIM>

Wow. This is why we have sow quotas. Seriously what were you thinking? Unless you're shooting a 4 foot arrow that bear MIGHT be 3.5 feet long. BTW aside from the size, if that was a mature sow that you had taken, one that had her share of cubs people wouldn't be on here posting negatively about it.

Think of it this way. A bear has 2 cubs a year every other year. If she had dropped 8 cubs in her life (8 years old), maybe one of those would have been a mature COLOR PHASE BOAR of a RESPECTABLE size that you could have killed. Instead you chose to shoot the equivalent of a fawn. I can guarantee that if I shot a coues deer fawn with my bow and posted pictures up of it saying it was "my first with a bow" there would be an uproar.

Now I know you will make the "it's a legal bear" argument, just remember LEGAL IS NOT ALWAYS ETHICAL. Business Ethics 101.

Mike

+100

Wow. This is why we have sow quotas. Seriously what were you thinking? Unless you're shooting a 4 foot arrow that bear MIGHT be 3.5 feet long. BTW aside from the size, if that was a mature sow that you had taken, one that had her share of cubs people wouldn't be on here posting negatively about it.

Think of it this way. A bear has 2 cubs a year every other year. If she had dropped 8 cubs in her life (8 years old), maybe one of those would have been a mature COLOR PHASE BOAR of a RESPECTABLE size that you could have killed. Instead you chose to shoot the equivalent of a fawn. I can guarantee that if I shot a coues deer fawn with my bow and posted pictures up of it saying it was "my first with a bow" there would be an uproar.

Now I know you will make the "it's a legal bear" argument, just remember LEGAL IS NOT ALWAYS ETHICAL. Business Ethics 101.

Mike

Mike

Thanks for the preaching, but the sermon ended a month ago with the last minister and my confession that I wished my bear was larger, but it wasn't. Yes, the Fish and Game have sow quotas for people like me who choose to tag a sow, sometimes regardless of size. That protects the species and ensures reproductive survival for future hunting generations. I knew there could be negative responses on this site, but did not expect them to be so draconian in their content amongst fellow hunters. In spite of that, I posted the pictures and my story due to the personal enjoyment and odyssey I experienced on this hunt, which I wanted to share with others, in the hopes that they would enjoy it too. Most individuals appreciated my story, fewer did not.

"Size" and "respectable" are all subjective to each and every individual. I do not trophy hunt, thus I could care less about size. I've tagged a near 21" inch bear and another 17+" bear, and now this 13-14" bear. Yet, this last bear means the most to me and is my most respectable trophy. And when it comes to ETHICS, the individual subjective nature of this beast is far greater than that of anything else. So please, don't espouse your own personal ethics to impinge on the personal choices and freedom of others. And don't expect every hunter to share the same goals and dreams.

And yes, I take no offense and enjoy all the opinions stated on this community forum, for I am Goldilocks, and I approve this message...and here are my three bears!

post-4429-1283098253_thumb.jpg

"So please, don't espouse your own personal ethics to impinge on the personal choices and freedom of others. And don't expect every hunter to share the same goals and dreams.

And yes, I take no offense and enjoy all the opinions stated on this community forum"

Well said Kidso and thanks for maintaining a positive attitude here despite the negative comments by others! JIM>

"So please, don't espouse your own personal ethics to impinge on the personal choices and freedom of others. And don't expect every hunter to share the same goals and dreams.

And yes, I take no offense and enjoy all the opinions stated on this community forum"

Well said Kidso and thanks for maintaining a positive attitude here despite the negative comments by others! JIM>

+1 :)

TJ

+1 :)

TJ

+1000

I don't mean to put anyone down, but some if those comments were pretty self- righteous. If the hunt is enjoyable, legal, and the kill was clean, and you are happy, then what else is there? The female harvest limits are low. There is a good population. I will say this much: ethics us being responsible to yourself, others, and tour surroundings, including animals and others. Each person has room for interpretation. In kidso's words, font impose what you THINK on others. Opinions are one thing. Insults are another.

Consider this: you tale a fully grown bull elk for meat. It is not old, but you are not a trophy hunter. You share your great hunt with others. But you are put down fir not taking a bull who is old and mature.

I know what you will say. This is a male, not a female animal. But if it has a life, and can breed, does it matter? My point is this. What makes a hunt us your enjoyment of it, and how you put to use the life if the animal you killed. If it means a lot to you, then the hunt is a successful.

I have seen too many forums, good ones , polluted withhateful comments and speech. Don't let that happen to this one. Say positive things, or give insight, not insults. Forgive the nostalgia, but forums are places for hu ters to come together, not tear each other apart. It is a cliche of an addage but if you don't have something nice to say don't say it at all. It applies to all of us. That sums it up.