Sign in to follow this  
PaddyMcGurk

Ft. Huachuca December Hunt

Well, here goes round 2. This is my second year deer hunting ever. Growing up in Chicago typically doesn't allow for much hunting. Anyway, hunted 35A last November (first week) with no luck. Hunted Canello Hills and Hunter Canyon. I didn't even see a buck the entire time. This year I have a Christmas hunt for Ft. Huachuca. Has anyone hunted the Fort in late December before? Just wondering if I should have better odds this time around.

Anyway, Happy Hunting to all.

Semper Fi,

Pat

You should have a great hunt. there are lots of whitetail on the Fort and Dec is an excellent time to hunt them since it is cooler out and the deer are approaching the rut.

There is a certain state senator that is a retired Green Beret that has done well on that hunt (his kids too!) I will talk to him and see if he is willing to give up some info. He has the exact same tag as you.

I'm not asking for a ton of info, just wondering if I'll have better luck this year. Sounds like I should. I know that the temperature will definitely be better. Poor monsoons last summer equaled a hot and dry November.

Good tag!

sit up high and glass feeding area at first light light.

Then glass shady sides mid-day. And all day long glance at the saddles. You will find them.

Fun hunt! I killed two bucks off of the Fort with the December tag and always saw plenty of deer.....

i was stationed there for a few years any where off range road to gardner canyon or black tail canyon. 4x4 is a must or a quad. big deer all over just got to find them. talk to the locals. talk to josh at trail boss, im sure he has a few named already.

Thanks for all the info, guys. This sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. Well, just being in the Great Outdoors is always a blast. I'm going to start scouting next week to see what I find.

during your scouting, check out the areas that has been burned, it's a deer magnet now and lots of bucks nipping the new growth plantations