Sign in to follow this  
sjvcon

6A Early October Rifle Bull

My dad was drawn for the October (22-25) hunt for Bull in 6A ... so not the September Trophy Hunt, but still a good one. Being that he's turning 71 this year, and it's been 12 years since he was last drawn, this could be his last chance at a big bull. I hunted that unit years ago, and saw some big bulls out by Apache Maid, but have not hunted there much in recent years (due to the fact that I haven't been drawn for elk in 11 years now). Anyone got any hints where I can take Pop and get him a good one??? Any help would be appreciated.

its rough out around Apache maid, lots of pressure there, there are several roads that leads to canyons overlooking the rim area. I know it's early in the season and most of the elk have not migrated yet but there's nice bulls hanging along the rim. Here's a tip, have your pops be prepared to shoot a long ways

"shoot a long ways" ... that's it ... man, tough crowd ...

"shoot a long ways" ... that's it ... man, tough crowd ...

Umm... That wasn't 'it'..... He gave you plenty of other info in his post. :) So much for 'Any help would be appreciated'.... ;)

LOT'S of good country all the way from Munds Park to Morman Lake!

S.

:)

+1 Stanley

I'm hunting a portion of 6A for the first time too. Was given some general but good info (like above). Went to wide world of maps, bought some 1:24k quads and have been up a few times to learn roads, gps tanks, glass and put out a couple cams. Have been seeing sign and actual elk, coues, muleys, antelope and bear in almost all the areas I've been in and am narrowing down where I'll be focusing on a plan A,B,C...taking into consideration the number of tags, pressure, time to hunt, ability to access areas, bull expectations and budget.

Work off the info given and if you can actually put some boots on the ground you can start to formulate a plan. Watch your tires - the roads can get real rough and nasty! Its been raining tons up there (at least where I've been looking) and the animals seem relaxed and spread out. Good luck.

Was kind of a joke Stanley ;) I've always been a bit of a smart"A" ... just expected a few more posts on an area that has been pretty prolific for so many years. And believe me, I do appreciate the info.

Boots on the ground is always a good idea. Have been reading up some on areas up closer to 11M and have heard of some huge bulls up there ... that would be up closer to the Mund's Park area. Makes some sense they would be up higher now ... hard to say in a couple of months, but a few trips up should help figure movement.

Apache Maid is rough, and lots of pressure ... I just remember years ago when I had a cow tag there seeing some ENORMOUS Bulls ... even the Satellite Bulls were big. Given the nature of the terrain though, probably a last resort.

Good luck to you KaibabHunter! Which hunt did you draw?

6AS archery bull. I can guarantee you I will be replacing my tires when this is over and done with. Never been so worried I was gonna break my truck or have more than 1 tire go down...

Yeah ... some of those roads can be murder on the treads, that is for sure.

I was in 3C over the weekend scouting for my son's Jr. Cow Elk tag ... had a ton of rain. One of the roads we got on was so slick and bumpy that I thought I was going to lose my truck down into a stream bed. When we got through it I looked back at the boys and said "I think dad needs to pull over and change his shorts boys ..." , which got a pretty good laugh.

If that unit is anything like it used to be, you'll have a blast on that Archery Hunt. My cousin got a really good bull out of there 6-7 years back, and he had his pick of several, all of which he said were huge.

Good luck. Maybe we'll run into you out there scouting.

Not to hijack this thread, but can anyone tell me if elk are in the lower half of the unit in early October. My son has a junior cow tag starting October 8th and I am familiar with the southern part of the unit but just don't know how low the elk are at that point. Also, if someone could tell me if I might still hear some bugling around that time, that would be great.

Thank you.

I don't have any 6A advice for you but if your dad's goal is a big bull I'd seriously consider having him hire a guide. We've got a few CWT.com sponsors who know 6A inside and out.

Maybe your dad just wants to spend the time hunting w/ friends and family. If so, that's totally cool. I don't think killing a big bull, or any bull for that matter, is required for a great hunt.

My dad's in the same situation (12 years w/o a tag and is spittin' distance to 70) in a different unit. I gave him the same advice. I'll be going along to help any way I can but the math is inescapable. If you burn this tag and the wait is another 12 years he'll be 83 and it'll be exponentially harder on him. My dad has the feeling that this is his last shot at a big bull and that he'll stictly be a meat hunter from here on out.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Not to hijack this thread, but can anyone tell me if elk are in the lower half of the unit in early October. My son has a junior cow tag starting October 8th and I am familiar with the southern part of the unit but just don't know how low the elk are at that point. Also, if someone could tell me if I might still hear some bugling around that time, that would be great.

Thank you.

There are elk all over the southern part of the unit and unless there is some weird occurrence, the elk will be bugling and rutting at that time.

I don't have any 6A advice for you but if your dad's goal is a big bull I'd seriously consider having him hire a guide. We've got a few CWT.com sponsors who know 6A inside and out.

Maybe your dad just wants to spend the time hunting w/ friends and family. If so, that's totally cool. I don't think killing a big bull, or any bull for that matter, is required for a great hunt.

My dad's in the same situation (12 years w/o a tag and is spittin' distance to 70) in a different unit. I gave him the same advice. I'll be going along to help any way I can but the math is inescapable. If you burn this tag and the wait is another 12 years he'll be 83 and it'll be exponentially harder on him. My dad has the feeling that this is his last shot at a big bull and that he'll stictly be a meat hunter from here on out.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Well put. Been hunting the unit most of my life and it can be very rough... combining a quality hunt, with the hunters ability is what spells success in many units like this.... There are a lot of hunts and a lot of hunters in this unit, making it very tough to find "the One" and there are lots af average bulls but the Big bulls are not behind every tree and must really be worked for. We hunt our butts off to produce good bulls in that unit and it takes every resource we have often times to get it done. Here is a bull we took out of there on a late hunt not too far back. ;) Knowlege, hard work, and patients paid off! Best of luck to you guys on the hunt. :)

post-996-1282665538.jpg

Nice bull Coues n sheep! What did it score?

It was the kid's first bull and scored just a shade under 345" (broke)... had over 16" broken off... the bull was a 360" plus bull for atleast two years that I know of.... ;)

He is the bull on the left in this picture... if that right horn was doubled he would have been a 380 class bull... still a wicked good bull for that unit, either way! ;)

post-996-1282746935.jpg

Thank you.

Hunt the north west side of the Mormon Lake area, should be a guaranteed kill. Also I feel it's going to be a tad bit warm out but if you must hunt the southern part of that unit, follow the power line road off of highway 260 heading south to Fossil Creek Canyon and glass the heck outta the area. Good Luck