Sign in to follow this  
couespatrol

My Daughter's First Bull

This hunt took place in 2005. My Daughter was 13 at the time and drew a tag on her second try. Talk about luck. It took me 17 years to draw my first tag and that was for my second choice. As luck would have it my Father drew a tag for the same hunt. Being that my Father has always been a meat hunter, he has never tagged out on a bull bigger than a 300 6x6. So I convinced him to hold out for a 320 or better. We hunted hard for five days and passed on 15 bulls before my Father shot his bull at last daylight. The following morning my Daughter and I decided to do some glassing before we went to help my Father and brothers pack out the bull when we glassed up a big 6x6 about a half mile east of my Fathers bull. We put the bull to bed and then rushed down to help my Father and brothers quarter the bull (and to keep them quiet).

It was 12:30 when we stared after the bull. To get to the bull we had to make an extended hike and I was getting tired, so I asked My daughter if she wanted to continue or to try for him the first thing in the morning. She said "we are all ready here lets keep going". My eyes kind of watered up. One because I was proud of her response and two because I was a hurting puppy :lol: I then grabbed her rifle and her pack and started to hike up the trail. At 2:30 I realized we were getting close and that my Daughter had fallen back. So I stopped and waited for her. I then looked Up the steep hillside and noticed a tan object and thought to myself that it was the color of an elk. I looked down the trail at my daughter and then glanced in the area where the tan spot was and realized the tan spot was gone. So I began to glass the area and to my surprise that tan spot was the bull we were after. He had moved a quarter of a mile to the west and was feeding.

I then advised my daughter that I had spotted the bull and she ran to my location showing no signs of being tired. The shot was basically straight up with a shooting lane of only two feet by two feet. The angle was so steep that she was not able to sit or use her shooting sticks. So I located a tree branch that was about seven feet long, grabbed it about three quarters of the was up and had her rest the rifle on my fist. Her first shot hit him behind the shoulder. The bull hunched up and began to move up the mountain side. I then told her to shoot him in the neck so to try and stop him in his track. Boom, and the bull drops. He then begans to roll down hill and with every roll his rack hits harder and harder. All I can think is that after all this hard work this bull is going to busted to pieces. The bull ended up getting his left side legs wedged under a downed aspen and stopped rolling.

It took us two full days to get my father and daughter's bulls out piece by piece but It was a hunt that we will never forget.

My Daughter is 18 now and has grown up to be a beautiful young woman who still loves to hunt! Time flies by fast enjoy every second that you have with your children because it does'nt last forever!!!!

post-4369-1280894127_thumb.jpg

post-4369-1280894154_thumb.jpg

post-4369-1280894203_thumb.jpg

post-4369-1280894264_thumb.jpg

post-4369-1280894301_thumb.jpg

post-4369-1280894331.jpg

What an awesome first bull! Congrats to both of you and thanks for sharing your story and pictures. My oldest is 9 now and we both can't wait for her first when the time comes.

Nice story - hoping my 12 year old daughter can harvest her first deer this year. And you are so right, they grow up very fast!

Cool man nice hunt and congratulations to you and your daughter. My daughter started hunting this year and took a javelina this past February. She has a deer tag for October so hopefully we'll post pictures of her first buck :) Thank you for sharing you adventure with us :)

Ernesto C

Hey cuz-in-law nice pics!

Hopefully I'll have some pics to show soon of my archery bull elk hunt and the boy's (Alec & Logan) junior cow hunt.

I have my eyes on a few large bulls that I have found scouting with cousin Aaron. I'll send you some of our scouting pic soon!