Sign in to follow this  
QCcoueshunter

antler growth

thanks me and my brother spotted a nice sized whitetail buck when we were scouting a unit that is new to us the other day and i was curious if he would grow much before our rifle hunt the area had plenty of water and feed

It's interesting though. I've seen some bucks, mostly Muleys, grow fast the first few months, and them taper off, while their buddies blossom in September and really put on time length. I'm not sure if its genetic, or environmental. Both early and late boomers were in the same general area so its hard to say if its diet or water availability, or just genes.

It is time for the velvet to start getting rubbed off on all antlered deer. when the blood is done going to the antlers, growth stops. In Az I would say late August to early Sept and they are done.

It's not common, but I have seen bucks add inches into September.

I have seen bucks grow 2-3 " of tine lenth from 1st of sept intel the 3rd week of sept. Most bucks are clean by the 20th of september. If you shot one opening week of archery that buck lost the potential to grow another 3 weeks.

Thats exactly why I havnt flung any arrows at bucks, I got on a 100 buck on friday and he still had alot to go so I passed him. Most of the bucks Ive seen are still fat on there tines the only bucks I saw that were grown good were 2 muleys a 4by and a 3by and I passed them because I need a coues deer in order to get my cochise award

Thats exactly why I havnt flung any arrows at bucks, I got on a 100 buck on friday and he still had alot to go so I passed him. Most of the bucks Ive seen are still fat on there tines the only bucks I saw that were grown good were 2 muleys a 4by and a 3by and I passed them because I need a coues deer in order to get my cochise award

What's the cochise award?