Sign in to follow this  
Black Bare

Anybody Hunting AZ Bear this Week?

Not sure which comment you are referring to, but I had a guide that I know tell me that "we" report all our bears killed from unit "X" regardless of where they were killed in order to CLOSE that unit. That way there is no big game hunt going on and they can use an airplane to scout (legally) for elk or whatever else. Sorry I was talking over your heads. As for doing anything about it, I told him it was crap and I can't prove it and I can't really do anything about it since I am not involved in the alleged activity. The unit that this happened in is not open yet so I have no idea if "they" will do it this year.

He could have been lying to me but I am not sure why he would do that when it availed him nothing.

I hope my comments about the harvest objective in 23S being 2 females and "Dan" said he knew of 2 females... was self explanatory. I haven't called today so I don't know if it is going to close tomorrow night or not. It would be nice if it is open for the archery deer opener to give more opportunities for those hunting stands that might have a nice bear come in.

Last year I saw 30 bears while deer hunting in August. Most were sows with cubs but that is still a lot of bears.

Catclaw, in the past it was just the opposite, guides would call in their sows as Boars to keep the unit open...

I was misinformed on one of the sow's obviously. I personaly saw one sow. Another hunter(mistakenly) said he knew of a different sow killed . Sorry for the bad info. I had no intention of misleading anyone. I was suprised when I called and G&F and they said 23 wasn't closed!!!

Don't they get caught and busted for lying, as they still have to bring the bear in for proof of sex, don't they?

I was misinformed on one of the sow's obviously. I personaly saw one sow. Another hunter(mistakenly) said he knew of a different sow killed . Sorry for the bad info. I had no intention of misleading anyone. I was suprised when I called G&F Wensday and they said 23 wasn't closed!!! We did hunt the the week-end and located a nice bear.My son was within 220 yds. but didn't have a good shot. Will try this week end again . On a different note , I had one of my trail cam's(Stealth sniper with a 12 volt battery pack) stolen on Sat off the young road (288). :angry: I just can't stand a dang thief. !!! Sorry again for bad info :(

Don't they get caught and busted for lying, as they still have to bring the bear in for proof of sex, don't they?

You can't lie about the sex of a bear anymore because of the mandatory check-ins. You can, however, lie about where it was killed. I know when the harvest objective first went into affect, many hunters would declare that they killed their bear in unit 27 since it had so many females in the harvest objective. A bear hunting guide who wants to continue hunting could have encouraged his hunter or called it in for him and lied about the unit or sex back then. They can still lie about the unit. I am not sure what the ramifications are if you get caught lying about what unit you killed a bear in so long as you killed it in an open unit. Probably have something they can do to you.

The twist where they wanted the unit to close caught me off guard. It is my belief- but I could be wrong- that the G&F dept is very much against anyone scouting from an aircraft and they have crafted laws as carefully as possible to make this all but impossible to do. There are SO many big game seasons now scattered throughout most of the year that you can't hardly find two days that you can legally scout from an aircraft. In one sense, I can't blame the guys for getting creative and trying to get the season closed. I know that this particular guide said that he was shoot a sow if he saw one just for this reason of reaching the harvest objective.

I think the only real solution to it is the revamp the flying laws to make them a little less restrictive. I hate it when political agendas get in the way of hunting. Just like we will see baiting end next season. The dept has the proverbial hard-on against baiting, because of that, no matter how vocal we are in opposing it, a baiting ban is all but a done deal. They didn't like the outcry they had last year so it is quiet this year.

The smart pilots never get convicted of the flying during a season, it is the average joes that get hammered. George Taulman flew all the time during the late elk hunts in AZ and beat his rap in court every time.

Let me get off my soap box

I do not think you were talking over my head at all. Let me see. You said I KNOW A Guy that shoots bear for people. Then claims they were killed in another unit. So first off you know of a Game violation right. Because this guy shoots bear for people. Ok that can only mean he is shooting bear and other people must be tagging them right. Then claiming them shot in other units. Why do you have to claim what unit it was taken in if there is not a law against saying that you shot it in another unit right. Ok sounds like enough to get someone in trouble. Any ways I know that alot of crap goes on in the buisness of hunting. Just like every line of work you will have guys that push the limit until they cross the line to illeagle practices that does not mean we should set back and stand for it beei g done.