Buckfever

Advice for a first time hunter

I am going bear hunting this fall for my first time. We are going to a canyon that we were told holds a good amount of bear in it. it is located in unit 32. I am looking for some tips or info that might help me on my first bear hunt. ie... what is the easiest way you've found to get a bear out once you've shot him, were to start glassing, prefered food, good bear sign, and other useful info. Also if you have any gerneral areas you don't mind sharing that would be great.

Please feel free to also share any stories successful or not. A smart man learns from his own experience ... A wise man learns from his own and others.

if you don't have dogs , a new pair of either leica or swaro 10X42 binos. an accurate rifle. i would skin the bear and then cut the meat off and put in plastic bags in my pack. the backstaps in one bag the rest in another. roninflag

if you don't have dogs , a new pair of either leica or swaro 10X42 binos. an accurate rifle. i would skin the bear and then cut the meat off and put in plastic bags in my pack. the backstaps in one bag the rest in another. roninflag

+1

I use a plastic bag for the heart and liver, as they can be real bloody or slimy, but I use the regular cotton game bags for the rest of the meat and a separate cotton game bag for the hide. I like to use presdator calls for bear, so I would call from a spot with a decent vantage point if you know there are bears present nearby and draw them out into the open for a shot. I scream constantly like I'm being torn apart for at least 45 minutes before changing locations when calling for bear. Check around manzanita thickets and wild berry thickets for scat, especailly if there is water nearby. You might even have some bears feeding on prickly pears, depending upon where you are going. Good luck and I hope you see one!

Becareful using plastic bags to pack meat especially in the hotter months. The plastic won't allow heat in the meat to dissipate. I would suggest a game bag of some sort.

Raisedin32 sounds like you have a pretty good idea were we are going. I have been told horses are a big benifit in this area unfortunatly I don't have any or the money to rent. I appreciate all the post so far. I have a good set of bino's and have been physically training my body for a long hike with a heavy load. I will defenitly go out and purchase a few more bags to seperate the meat. :lol:

I would glass the canyon good early in the morning at first light. If no bears are seen I would start calling. Calling constantly for at least 30 minutes. You stop calling they stop coming. I've called them in with fawn distress, jackrabbit distress and even baby domestic pig squeeling. They generally come out earlier in the evening but most of the time in my eperience they prefer to stay out of the sun and are generally always shaded. Good Luck!!

Thank you!! I would have never called that long. I would have called for a few minutes then stopped. I guess I am too used to deer and elk were over calling can turn them the other direction.