Sign in to follow this  
couesobsession

Elk Bugle

This was an elk bugle I have enough experience to know it was no hunter.

This would be a bad concept during an elk hunt. I've heard great and bad calls from both. The biggest bull to date, his call was really sad.

Spent the last couple of days out chasing coues with no luck. Heard a few bugles but not much going on where I was. I did get to meet Jeremy B on the way thru Payson. He was excited about getting his meat cutting business up and running. Thanks Jeremy for the ice. While visiting with Jeremy I met another Payson guy, Noah, who I met years ago when he was kind enough to let me store my mt. lion in his walk-in while I contacted a taxidermist. :)

It was a pleasure meeing both of you.

TJ

Watched a 340-350 bull pushing cows and bugling his fool head off yesterday morning. He had one little satellite bull lingereing but offering no challenge. Pretty cool to watch.

Where I was hunting last week, I glassed a large herd of elk on the side of a huge ridge. Several small bulls and a ton of cows. Both the cows were mew'ing and the bulls were bugling.

This was an elk bugle I have enough experience to know it was no hunter.

This would be a bad concept during an elk hunt. I've heard great and bad calls from both. The biggest bull to date, his call was really sad.

True, bull elk make all different kinds of bugles and some sound better than others. But calls from tubes have a distinct human made edge to them, almost impossible to distinguish, but get enough experience and it's not too hard.

I just got back from a couple days of scouting and this morning I saw a 380ish 6x6 with about 30 cows and one spike. The bull was bugling and the cows were mewing. There was another bull on the opposite ridge that was bugling as well but I never did get to see him.

When will the big boys start hanging with the cows?

I found a big bull with cows last Friday. I saw a half dozen bulls the past two weeks that are tending cows. I filmed some small bulls sparring a couple of days ago. The rut is looking good this year and is way early! The rifle hunters are going to be picking through broken stuff I am afraid. The bulls were very responsive to calls. I could lay on my cot, hit a cow call and 3 bulls would sound off. Once you get them going, they keep feeding off each other.

The archery hunt should be a ball-the opposite of last year!