my2cats

Antelope hunt unit 10

Guess the cats are out of the bag eh?... :lol:

I honestly do think there is probably a better time for the G&F to do their fly byes...but man I am really hoping all the law suits happen so that next time my hunt doesn't quite go according to the way I had planned I can sue somebody for doing their job...Border Patrol, Ranchers, Forest Service, Surveyors, Guides, Game and Fish, anybody who is out there and doesn't think the world should stop because I have a tag will be subject...SERIOUSLY? Come on people stop the insanity and quit whining...It's not a perfect world, $hit happens, its called hunting and not killing...We have all been disappointed and had bad luck while in the field...it sucks...Get over it, be happy that at least you HAVE a tag, and keep on hunting because it is WAY better than working!

Ok Im over it...Lets see some pictures of your goat

This is a true story that happened to me on September 8, 2010 at 7:15 am in Unit 10 Arizona.

I have applied for an Antelope tag in Arizona unit 10 exclusively for the last 35 years, had accumulated 22 bonus points. 2010 was the lucky year, I had finally been drawn. Scouted for 21 days, found what I considered to be the trophy that I wanted on the wall. The season began and I hunted exclusively for this buck for 5 days and had one sighting and no chance yet. On Wednesday morning I found the buck I was looking for, put myself in position to let him feed over the ridge and would have been on him ready for the kill and of all things to happen an airplane flying very low comes right over the top of me and the Antelope took off running as fast as they can. The airplane then circled the running buck and his 4 does, then chased them farther again still at full speed, circled them again, chased them farther and circled again, never to be seen again. I have no idea how far they chased them but I could no longer see the antelope and the plane was so far away I could barely hear it now. Well I am now mad, I went to the top of the ridge where I found that I got cell phone service and called Operation Game Theif. The operator on the line asked me if I could stay on hold for a minute, "sure", when she came back on the line she informed me that there was no problem but that the Arizona Game and Fish Department was doing their annual Antelope Survey and not to worry about it. I told her that I wanted to speak to an officer asap. The officer called me only after I had called back 10 hours later and again requested to speak to an officer, he said "So I heard you got buzzed this morning".

Long story even longer, I don't care who it was that flew the airplain or what they were doing it was Hunter Harassment and Harassment of game. I want the appropriate people given a ticket so they can answer to a Judge. Am I wrong in this situation? Why are they doing a survey in the middle of a season? Please share your thoughts and expierences...

In short the reason the AZGFD was conducting the survey in the middle of your hunt is that they are a bunch of braindead vapid fools with no common sense. I wholeheartly agree they should be ticketed!!!

I tried to post this earlier but I failed. 270 short's account of the events are very inaccurate and I will not address all of the problems with his 3rd hand version of the events other than to say that 3 very accomplished hunters looked at this buck with me and they would all beg to differ about the score being a mid 70 buck at best, I was indeed out of the vehicle and on a stalk when these events began and I did not shoot an antelope on the hunt. I saw another buck that would probably have scored a little more but this was the buck I chose to pursue because he was the trophy I wanted, my choice, and I did hunt the four days after the incident without ever finding the buck again.

I'm with you cats. Don't get me wrong the azgfd does alot of good, but sometimes they need their head examined. There just isn't any consequences for their actions. The right thing to do would be to give you a tag for next year but I dought that will happen. It must be frustration to wait that long to get your tag and then spend thousands of dollars scouting and prepping for your hunt to chase the one goat that you set your eyes on and to have the azgfd chase that goat completely out the area. Don't wory, I'm sure another goat tag is just 20 years away.

Hunting seasons are only certain times of the year they cant do a survey in July that really pisses me off two last year someone I know hunted unit 22 and they had prescribed burns starting on opening day what A JOKE IN MY OPINION THOSE FREAKIN IDIOTS OWE YOU AN ANTELOPE TAG AND IF THEY COULD SEE THE ANIMALS THEY COULD SEE YOU AND SHOULD HAVE LEFT YOU ALONE. HUNTER HARASSMENT FOR SURE.

+1

objection... hearsay! :lol:

+1

I do admire your choice and dedication to hunt for one buck...but who's fault is it that you weren't able to find and harvest the buck the first five days of the season? Or the last four?...to assume you would've harvested that buck no matter what if it weren't for the G&F...I don't know...its kinda like counting your chicken before they hatch...Again the timing of what happened sucks and is unfortunate no doubt about it...but personally I think there was plenty of time before and after the incident to find and harvest the buck and to put all the blame on the G&F that you didn't is...well a little ridiculous...just my opinion

35 years of waiting...10 day hunt...and a 10-15 minute bad experience...disappointing sure. But is that all you will remember? Hope not...

I know for SURE that if it had been me flying the airplane, the Game and Fish department would do EVERYTHING in their power to make an example of me. AZGFD would claim that I was harassing wildlife from an airplane. There would be fines levied and AZGFD would confiscate the airplane. I don't read anywhere in the AZGFD regulations for any exemptions to harassment rules for the sake of surveys. I also have looked at the FAA's rules (F.A.R.) and find no exemption there either. This seems to me to be another example of Government employees feeling like laws don't apply to them, or that laws can be broken in the name of science.

It is time for us to stand up an stop letting government take advantage of us from EVERY area in our lives! Push back! You waited your turn in their "fair" lottery system to get your tag. You paid for your tag. They ruined your opportunity. They need to be held accountable! You need to take this matter before the AZGFD comission. Regardless of what the department is doing, NO ONE can harass wildlife from an airplane.

Perhaps AZGFD should pay fines to Arizona Antelope Foundation, and surrender their airplane to Arizona Antelope Foundation to be auctioned off at their annual banquet. Afterall, we have rules!

I don't read anywhere in the AZGFD regulations for any exemptions to harassment rules for the sake of surveys. I also have looked at the FAA's rules (F.A.R.) and find no exemption there either. This seems to me to be another example of Government employees feeling like laws don't apply to them, or that laws can be broken in the name of science.

R12-4-319

Use of Aircraft to Take Wildlife

A. For the purposes of this Section, the following definitions

apply:

1. "Aircraft" means any contrivance used for flight in

the air or any lighter-than-air contrivance.

2. "Locate" means any act or activity that does not take

or harass wildlife and is directed at locating or finding

wildlife in a hunt area.

B. An individual shall not take or assist in taking wildlife

from or with the aid of aircraft.

C. Except in hunt units with Commission-ordered special

seasons under R12-4-115 and R12-4-120 and hunt units

with seasons only for mountain lion and no other concurrent

big game season, an individual shall not locate

or assist in locating wildlife from or with the aid of an

aircraft in a hunt unit with an open big game season.

This restriction begins 48 hours before the opening of

a big game season in a hunt unit and extends until the

close of the big game season for that hunt unit.

D. An individual who possesses a special big game license

tag for a special season under R12-4-115 or R12-4-120 or

an individual who assists or will assist such a licensee shall

not use an aircraft to locate wildlife beginning 48 hours

before and during a Commission-ordered special season.

E. This Section does not apply to any individual acting

within the scope of official duties as an employee or

authorized agent of the state or the United States to

administer or protect or aid in the administration or protection

of land, water, wildlife, livestock, domesticated

animals, human life, or crops.

R12-4-320

Harassment of Wildlife

A. In addition to the provisions of A.R.S. § 17-301, it is

unlawful to harass, molest, chase, rally, concentrate,

herd, intercept, torment, or drive wildlife with or from

any aircraft as defined in R12-4-319, or with or from any

motorized terrestrial or aquatic vehicle.

B. This Section does not apply to individuals acting:

1. Under the provisions of A.R.S. § 17-239; or

2. Within the scope of official duties as an employee or

authorized agent of the state or the United States to

administer or protect or aid in the administration or

protection of land, water, wildlife, livestock, domesticated

animals, human life, or crops.

Well I sure support G&F doing surveys if it helps them, but during a hunt is a terrible practice. I had the same thing happen to me on a coues hunt where I had to hike a long way to an area. They buzzed the area in a helicopter and moved the deer out in a hurry. On their initial pass, they saw me glassing and came over head, hovered and glassed me. Then they continued their grid, saw the buck and flew with him as he ran out of the area. It looked like they were taking pictures. I did not find the buck in there again. I am still sore about that one!