raisedin32

Ready to build my first rirfle

I'm thinking I'm ready to build my first rifle. Thought I would do a mauser action, douglas barrel (in .270), richard's stock, and not sure on the trigger assembly. But I'm having a really hard time finding a mauser action without buying a whole rifle. Any thoughts?

Buy a Rem 700 action! theres alot you can do with it and easy to get parts for is you need them! Sportsmans has a sell on them for $379.00

Why do you want to use a mauser action. I wouldnt think about using any action other than a REM700 or a custom. The customs are not that much more expensive than a REM700 after you get it all trued up. Probably $200-$300 more. What do you want to use the rifle for?

Here's a thought buy a thompson center.

Thanks Tim

Jeffro

I just have the urge to build a hunting rifle and I don't have a .270. I don't want to do any bench rest shooting, I just wanted to shoot a deer with a rifle I built. The reason for the mauser action was I thought I could get a used one kinda cheap.

Mausers are fine actions and I have an great .257 Roberts that was put together by an ACGG riflesmith on a Czech VZ24 action. That said, they may take a lot of work to get set up for scopes, etc. depending on what you start with. If you can find a commercial FN action from the 50's you would have a good start and you can find those if you spend some time. Sears (JC Higgins?) and others imported those actions for their rifles.

If you are looking for a basic, lightweight hunting rifle the 700 action is great as others are telling you, but is no mauser... your opinion may vary.

Mike