Sign in to follow this  
huntingfool

Ring up two coyotes for the newbies!

Well we had the morning off so I took some friends out for a predator hunt. Mike had never hunted but always wanted to. Evan has killed a cow elk but is still fairly inexperienced. Evan's been out a few times with me and gotten skunked, but today he drew some blood. The guys met me just before 5am and we headed out to find some doggies. As soon as we got out of the truck we could hear coyotes in all directions. We were hunting the thick stuff and I knew they weren't howling at the truck so I figured the first stand would be good. Sure enough about two minutes in I see a dog at about 20 yards. They just appear in the thick stuff sometimes. Anyway Mike was looking the other way. I pssssted at him and he slowly looked over. By this time the two dogs started to leave, but he let go with some #4 buck as they were leaving. I wanted to keep calling but since I thought he may have hit one we got up and checked out the AO. Sure enough it opened up a little and I could see one was hobbled. We hustled up to her and Mike put her down. This is his very first kill, look at the smile on his face!

100_3561.jpg

Next stand we saw one leaving as we sat down but called anyway. No takers.

Third stand we set up with Mike and Evan facing one way, and me the other. I was calling and I gave them the side I though would get action. Sure enough about 6 minutes in I hear Evan kissing and then BANG! Then Evan says "he's down" and we hopped up to look. He drilled her with my 45 colt levergun. Say what you will about the caliber but hunting the thick stuff I think shotguns and open sights are king. Here's the boys with their coyotes:

100_3564.jpg

All said and done it was a good day; 4 stands, 2 dogs down and I think they are hooked. Good times!

We went out today and CouseNbass missed a nice one at 75 yards, had to bust his grapes hahaha. Me I'm still a virgin but will get one soon, Hooked.