Sign in to follow this  
galiuro mountain man

december hunters

Guest Ernesto C

Catclaw and fellow members,I believe that now more than ever,is vital,is very important to take care of our natural resources,which includes all the animals also. We must acoordingly with our own possibilitys take "care" of them.

What do I mean?for example catclaw mention something I think is very important and we should not overlook: " the coyote calling in the res is not near what it used to be.It was nothing to get 8-10 a day.Now I'm lucky to get 3."

I think if you get 3 a day is still exceptional but maybe that is way we are only getting 3 a day becuase we over hunt them and 8-10 coyotes were hiting the ground. If you get 3 coyotes a day wow! that's a excellent day of hunting but we must not overhunt an area;if we get 3 coyotes in a 15 mile radious I think we should leave that area alone for one or two years,give them a chance to recover so we can continue hunting and in the meant time we can hunt some where else.

We (hunters) are losing a lot of hunting ground also do to development and some other things that we do not have control over them and like catclaw said lets enjoy what we do have but at the same time lets chance the things we can.

I got a beatifull picture in my bedroom,in the backgroud there are some pretty mountains and some pine forrest,and there is this beatifull,majestick and big white tail buck standing in the green grass and on some white and yellow flowers,on the top rigth hand corner of the picture it says:

GRANT ME THE SERENITY

TO ACCEP TE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE;

THE COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN;

AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

Every nigth and every mornig I read this as a say my prayers,may the Lord bless you all,lets make a difference and enjoy life.Thanks.

Ernesto C.

Ernesto,

very well said. I pretty much ignore the coyotes on the reservation these days as it is not good enough to justify a trip there just to hunt them. I agree with self managing strategy but I'm afraid that many don't feel the same way.

One thing we have to do is police our own. I was really discusted with what I found in 24A this year during my deer hunt. I found the messes left by 2 elk hunters and one bear hunter - all three which would have been very negative reflections on "hunters". I cleaned up two of them and the other one was turned over to G&F for citations. I got after a number of people for riding quads all over creation. It seems that we are creating a generation of very LAZY and unskilled hunters.

I wore a pair of boots out on this trip - yet one tank of fuel in my ATV lasted 3-4 outings. Maybe I'm just too old fashioned.

God bless YOU Ernesto

Dennis

Catclaw, I ran into the same thing in August with some people from CA in 32. They had a road I always use blocked off with a trailer, and almost told me that I couldnt go through there because it was their camp. They werent even supposed to have a trailer up there in the first place! second they left a mess. Third they rode quads into the wilderness. The last thing they did was camped about 100 ft from a stock tank. Now 2 of the 4 things they did wrong are easy to do, if you dont know the area, but when you sign a book for private ranch access these things are posted- NO TRAILERS and CAMP AT LEAST 1/4 MILE AWAY FROM WATER. Now the mess they left really made me mad. Then I saw on the day after they left, quad tracks from their camp into the wilderness. They used an old mine road, and right on the gate it says FOOT ACCESSS ONLY. Now I am disgusted! So I walk up to the top of a ridge and call G&F to report them. I took their license #'s when they werent going to let me past their camp. I dont know what happened with it, but something has to be done about stuff like this!

Dont get me wrong, I dont care where you are from, out of state, local, or out of country, FALLOW ALL RULES- especially when they are posted all over the place!!!! There are a lot of places in 32 where the landowners wont allow access, all because of this very thing. Remember 1 PERSON can ruin this for EVERYONE!!!

OK I will get off the soapbox now, just obey all rules and have fun out there!

GMM

Guest Ernesto C

Yes I agree GMM,I live in a place that hunters refer as "dove heaven" because is easy to get your dove limit in 10 to 15 minutes;well about 3 or 4 years ago we lost part of the dove heaven,there was this huge piece of private property that many hunters use to hunt,but because all the plastic bags,beer bottles and cans,shotgun shells and you name it,because all that big mess,the owner of the property said NO MORE HUNTING in this land.

We must take care of the places we hunt,like if we were the owners of the land so please lets pick up our trash or if you happen to be driving on a road and see a soda can stop and pick it up it does not have to be your own trash.

I dont think you will like me going in to your back yard and dump all my garbage in there rigth? How do you think land owners feel when they see that?

Thank God we still have plenty of "dove heaven" in here but we must take care of what we have.

God bless you all. Ernesto C.

Speaking of landowner relations.... I am hoping several people from CouesWhitetail.com will come down and help with an annual trash pickup on private raches in units 36a, b, and c. It is a great way to help keep good relations with private property owners. Let's make time for it.

Amanda

Here is an article detailing it:

March 6th, 2004 is the 3rd annual ?Trash pick up Day?. The event will be held in units 36 A, B, & C, at the corner of Hwy 286 and Arivaca road. The event is scheduled to begin at 8:00am, but you are welcome to come the night before and camp out with other Arizona hunters. The trash cleanup will focus on ranches in the unit 36 area that have given hunters access. We will be showing our thanks to the ranchers who open up their land to us, by cleaning up their ranches. This is a great family event. Bring the kids and get them involved in giving back to the sport we love so much. We will begin going to ranches in the morning, then returning to camp for a wild game BBQ at lunchtime (we welcome any wild game meats for the BBQ), and then back into the field in the afternoon. You don?t need to bring anything but yourself. The Arizona G&F department, State Land Department, and the Buenos Aries National Wildlife Refuge are donating all of the trash bags, gloves and related items. Food and drinks will be provided, but feel free to bring your favorite wild game or dish. The Arizona G&F department will have the wildlife officers for the 36 units on hand, as well as the Land Access Coordinator, available for you to ask questions regarding hunting in these units or in Arizona. Come join us for a great day of fun and work. Events like this will help ensure our hunting future in Arizona.

This cleanup is organized by Lance Altherr and supported by the following groups:

Arizona Deer Association, Arizona Bowhunters Association, Safari Club Tucson Chapter, The members of the Arizona Bowsite, and the Arizona G&F Department.

Any questions, please contact Lance Altherr at (520) 751-8823 or e-mail shedhunter@worldnet.att.net

Guest Ernesto C

Thanks Amanda,that,s great!! I already mark my calendar,the week berofe that I will give you my confirmation. I think is a great oppurtunity for hunters to get to know this units if they do not know them yet,and to know other hunters too,lets make it happen,lets make it fun. :P Thanks.

Ernesto C

Amanda,

Unless my schedule changes I'll be there. 36a really got trashed this hunting season. I've cleaned up a few places already, but there is still alot of work to be done.

I will be there to help and to hopefully meet some of you from this forum.

I was in 34B last year Javelina hunting and under every tree was covered with cans, blankets, etc.

Jason

GMM,

The California "hunters" are famous and yet again caused quite a mess in the 32 around Klondyke in this years deer hunt. Blocking access with truck, trailers even with quads. My cousin saw some Cali "hunters" packing out a Coues that had been deboned, but with no head(like a doe maybe)!!! He later ran into a WM and told him what he saw. Don't know what happened with it.

While trying to fill my 03 deer archery tag up in 36A around the Cisco ranch pass to the east side of the Sierritas it almost took me longer to stop and pick up cans than I did walking. It really makes me MAD to know that other hunters did this, and to think that there are guys in the same hills a you and I during deer season with high powered rifles with a "few in them". Don't get me wrong I am no saint but when I hunt I MIGHT have A beer back at camp right before bed.

The 36's have been my play ground for a few years now and I plan on being at the clean up. Sorry to say that I will not be able to contribute any game meat though, unless I can figure out how to make tag jerky.

:P

Guest Ernesto C

My dear fellow members,please allow me to change the phrase or sentence "California hunters" for "some California hunters" becuase I'm sure not all of them are irresponsible,I'm sure there is few here and there that pick up their trash.

Earlier I let you know about the piece of "dove heaven" we lost; that piece of land was use in mayority by california hunters but there were also some Az.hunters and I'm sure we got some "hunters" here in Az. that need to be more responsible.

Hey More D it will be a big surprise to see "some California hunters" to show up and help with the clean up in the 36's. :P

God bless America. Ernesto C.