Sign in to follow this  
crazyaboutcoues

NM Oryx

Congratulations on your hunt, awesome trophy.

WOW, congrats Tommy on a great trophy!!

Looks like 37-38" Do you have any field photos?

Congratulations Tommy. How many years have you put in for that hunt?

I've read that on range can be a slam dunk, but off range can be fairly tough. Is that a fair assesment or was it different for you? Regardless, awesome oryx! :rolleyes:

Congrats on the Oryx. I got mine on 9 Oct in the San Andres Mt. on base. It horns were only 32" BUT it is a good looking animal. This is the second Oryx I've gotten. The first one was off post.

Shiras, off post is a little more difficult however, if you glass and cover (drive) alot of area you will find them. During the week days seem to be better 'cause there is as many people out there looking for them.

Thanks Guys

It was the once in a lifetime hunt in Rhodes canyon. It took eight years for me to draw the tag. The Bull measured 33 1/4" on one side and 32 3/4" on the other. This is by no means a slam dunk any more. :rolleyes: The storys about driving around the corner seeing one getting off and shooting no longer applies. :lol:

These guys see your truck and GONE!!!!!

It rained most of the day so they were really hard to locate. I saw 8 Oryx total on my hunt. That's glassing with the 15's off high points. We finally found this guy with his girl friend exacly 1 mile from our glassing point. I left the truck at 5:00pm and didn't get to them until 6:15. I walk thru the nastiest mud boggs most of the way and my legs just about gave out. :huh: I shot him with 7 minuets of shooting light. Gutting this animal was an experience in itself. ;)

I agree.. The easy days are over..

At Noon on Sat. out of 105 hunters only 6 had killed. When you take into consideration that this was the FIRST hunt in Rhoades for the year it put things into prespective.

For NR's the tag is $1500.00 :rolleyes: :lol:

Jason

;)

Congratulatins Tommy. Gutting them critters is a new experience isn't it? I've killed two and the second was much easier after the first. Once you realize every inch of intestine has to be cut free it is a lot easier.

A friend's wife from Silver also hunted Rhodes. She killed a similar bull late Saturday evening as well.

Funny thing, they shot her gun Friday after they got to Alamagordo one last time then cleaned it. In the process they broke the cleaning "snake" off in the barrell and couldn't get it out. They drove back to Cruces and borrowed my 30-06 which is left handed. Luckily she only needed one shot because when she got exited she couldn't reload. I guess she was completly perplexed by the bolt on the wrong side! All worked out and she was very proud, as you should be! Great trophies and the meat is worth the wait for drawing a tag.

Kevin

Kevin...yes gutting an Oryx was a new experience for me. I'm still trying to get the blood out of my ears, that's right out of my ears. :huh: Imagine the stomach protruding out of the entire incision at least ten inches, then trying to get an arm on each side and just start whacking away. I was laying my head on the stomach during most of the gutting. :) seems kinda funny now but when it was happening I was ready to start taking ribs apart. :D

Glad to here your friends wife got one especially what they had to go thru. I wonder how many hunters went home empty handed.

Congratulatins Tommy.? Gutting them critters is a new experience isn't it?? I've killed two and the second was much easier after the first.? Once you realize every inch of intestine has to be cut free it is a lot easier.

A friend's wife from Silver also hunted Rhodes.? She killed a similar bull late Saturday evening as well.?

Funny thing, they shot her gun Friday after they got to Alamagordo one last time then cleaned it.? In the process they broke the cleaning "snake" off in the barrell and couldn't get it out.? They drove back to Cruces and borrowed my 30-06 which is left handed.? Luckily she only needed one shot because when she got exited she couldn't reload.? I guess she was completly perplexed by the bolt on the wrong side! All worked out and she was very proud, as you should be!? Great trophies and the meat is worth the wait for drawing a tag.

Kevin