Sign in to follow this  
bkgsps

Bird Hunting

Hi, all.

This is my first try attempt to post on this forum. (Please be kind):rolleyes:

How many of you hunt (birds) with dogs?

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

I'm a novice 'dog' bird hunter!! I have a female Vizsla that LOVES to hunt!!! We get out a few times per year, but we're a LONG way from being a 'well oiled' hunting pair!! ;)

Look for Redrabbit and Scottyboy (after he gets back from Africa), and others to chime in.... ;)

S.

:)

December2009BirdHunting009.jpg

This will be my first year hunting birds behind dogs. I've taken my dogs to AZBownunter22(Simon) for some formal training so I really looking forward to this years hunting.

Gsp are what I started with, now I hunt over all breads. Have fun on your hunt. I hope to get out Friday.

This will be my first year hunting birds behind dogs. I've taken my dogs to AZBownunter22(Simon) for some formal training so I really looking forward to this years hunting.

how much does he charge you? and for what period of time.

Bird hunting is fun with or without a dog. That being said, I won't evr leave the house without my french brit. By far the best breed out there :P :D :P

I've got a bird dog (Vizsla) - but I don't bird hunt.

Being a bird dog though means high energy - and he needs exercise every day.

He is my constant companion while hiking. In the last 5 years he's turned up 4 lion killed deer (2 fresh ones, one old one was a Coues buck ~90 and >16 inches wide!), and two dead elk - none of which i'd have found without him. Also, however, he's found a horde of nasty things (dead skunks, javelina, coyotes, foxes, if its stinks he'll find it - and roll in it).

post-1107-1287024131_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1287024062_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1287024136.jpg

post-1107-1287024141.jpg

He's tracked us into a shot buck in under 5 minutes - would have taken us hours to find in the tall grass of a palo verde flat.

post-1107-1287024337.jpg

He's found a couple of elk sheds, one muley, and two coues sheds on his own - although most of the time I have to tell him to look for them before he'll pick them up.

post-1107-1287024053_thumb.jpg

post-1107-1287024058.jpg

As much as I cuss him for being a little whiner in the truck on the way out to the field - he is always excited to be there, pulls out his own cactus spines and burrs, and if I'd pay more attention to his body language would see twice as much!

I usually don't start hitting it hard until Nov. I try and get out at least once a week from then on. My pointer just hit 11 and this will be the Fr. Britt pups first season, so it should be interesting.

Good luck,

Schmitty

Good luck on your hunting!

If any of you every want to get together and train dogs, let me know.

Good luck on your hunting!

If any of you every want to get together and train dogs, let me know.