Sign in to follow this  
youngbuck

Rio Salado/Usery range

I for one wil not return again as well. :angry: We were out there Christmas eve day with my grandfather and cousins. Range master turns to his buddy and asks him if he wanted to see him chew someone out, then proceeds to go off on my grandfather about leaving the clip in the pistol he had. The action was open, but he failed to remove the clip. I understand safety, and something probably needed to be said, but what the heck is this guys deal? A simple talking to would have been fine, but to go off on him was uncalled for just to show off to his buddy. I asked another person who was working there something, and he went off on me for my question. Ohkay, back off me, that was the reason I asked jackwagon. It seems to me that these rejects of the armed service have nothing better to do than show how cool they are by treating me, the PAYING public like crap. Well they lost my families buisness and I have no problem letting everyone I know how sh**ty these @ss holes are.

Fortunately I live in a rural area where its not to hard to find a spot to sight in a rifle and safely shoot many hundreds of yards, so I can't really feel your pain on this one, unfortunately there is an unregulated area here where a lot of folks go to shoot, the problem is most of these guys take all there trash out there and shoot it up and then dont bother to pick up after themselves, I have taken the scouts out on occasion to pick these areas up in an attemp to keep the area clean.but basically the area looks like a land fill most of the time. I can see the advantage of a good regulated area, but with that said I don't believe you fellers should have to put up with the crap and bad attitudes your talking about here, sounds like they need guys that are dedicated to the sport and enjoy what they do. I would also like to add, I have heard some comments about the older generation here and would like to say that unfortuantly weather I like it or not I fall into that class, and want you guys to know that not all of us feel or act like what has been discribed, I personally have raised boys as I know Lark and many many others on this web site have of the younger generation that are as Honest and hard working people as you can get, we have spent counless hours and money not only teaching our kids but others kids how to safely hunt and shoot, Please don't lump all of the old farts or flock shoot all of us because of a bad experience with some..............Dan

I was just having another conversation about Usery just the other day.

Like I stated before, Every time I'm there bearing the misery, I ask myself why I went there in the first place.

I, like many of you here, thoroughly enjoy the shooting sports and my time at the bench.

They sure know how to take that all away quickly.

I feel bad for you guys, you should'nt have to feel like your going to get a beatin every time you go shoot.

You know, at first I just laughed it of with the others in our group. It was my uncle's comment to me about hearing one of the range guys telling the other about a prescribed chewing that just topped it off for me. I do not consider any generation better or worse, and thus won't judge this as a generation thing. I like the way the place is setup, and having a clean place to shoot is awesome. I too have been out to the places in the rual areas and see the waste that is left behind. My 7 year old son has often times come along to shoot and has asked me about the mess. Teaching the future generations is a great responsability and teaching him to be a good steward is troublesome when you see the places Blade53 described. I am glad I choose to leave him home from this trip to Usery.

You guys are awesome, you have to be , you hunt!!!!.As has been mentioned before we are a brotherhood of hunters, reguardless of age, size, shape or other wise if we don't stick together to clean up one mess at a time, and fight for our freedoms,we will loose that what we dearly love. I have honestly never been to a honest to gosh (ya gotta pay) shooting range and can't identify with the problems you guys must endure.I only know how I would feel, or handle the problems you have described, and I would'nt appreciate it either...wish you all luck with that venture.......Dan

Tony, I think you have to be a member of the club to shoot the other parts of the range.

They provide prices for both club members and nonmembers, so I don't think that is the case.

Shotgun Range Fees...................................Members..........................Non-Members

5-Stand / Trap / Wobble Trap per Round.......$20.00............................$30.00

Shotgun Stand (token operated)...................$5.00.............................$7.00

Permanent Activation Card (optional)............$5.00.............................$7.00

.................................................................$15.00...........................$15.00

Tony, I think you have to be a member of the club to shoot the other parts of the range.

They provide prices for both club members and nonmembers, so I don't think that is the case.

Gotcha. I just remember asking about the pistol range and the guy telling me I had to be a member to go on any of the other ranges. Maybe thats their way of getting members.

Usery/Rio Salado is getting what they pay for or sometimes its "volunteers" who knows. If I hire an apprentice I can not expect him to do Journeyman work but the problem is the management there doesn't care until someone living around their range trys to close it down again! Then they will be crying in the street to all of us to step up and prevent it from happening as we are the only reason they are still open. There is another range in the valley albeit Northeast LA, but they run a tight ship (safety first)there as well with little or no attitude and the people working there are not all from the greatest generation of all times! They also have a long distance range for those of use needing to shoot past 200 yards but I am sure we all know this already, just a pain in the pooter to drive all the way over there! Best wishes and a Happy New Year to all of you...

About shooting more than 200 yards or use the pistol range or the metallic silhouette range at Rio Salado and Ben Avery......you must first join as an annual member, then contact (join) the shooter group that is charge of the particular range segment and then participate in a couple of their matches. Then it is up to the group whether they will allow you to use that range unsupervised and on your own. To me this sounds a lot like some sort of ritual initiation at the local country club. Personally I have zero desire to participate in a match competition of any kind. I enjoy the shooting sports period. The competition side is of no interest to me. I like to enjoy a few hours at the bench punching paper. Why do these facilities advertise that they are open to the public.