Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

2010 Coues Hunt

Well I thought today was the day we were going to get it done. We changed our strategy. We planned on getting to the spot where these deer have been hanging out or about 100 yds from it before light. We got there when we planned and sat and waged for the sun to come up, that's when these deer have been getting out of their beds. Everything was perfect except for the wind was blowing real hard and never let up. We sat and glassed for hours and hours we never saw a single deer. I'm taking the afternoon off to go back home and visit with the wife and kids. Ill be back at it hard for 2 more days.

I have no idea what's going on. I have scouted and scouted then scouted some more. I have patterned these deer in this location for the last 5 yrs. I know where they come from in the mornings, I know where they head when the sun is rising. They have done the same exact thing for the last 5 yrs and leading up to this hunt. The hunt starts and nothing is the same. Ii dont believe its hunting pressure cause during the last 4 hunts they didn't change their morning routine. The only thing I can come up with is the full moon, It is really bright. We have been hiking in way before sunlight not having to use flashlights. I'm not sure if it is the moon or not buts its real frustrating. That's coues hunting!

It's fun to read the field posts - maybe they patterned your visit and marked their calendars! :lol:

Keep up the good work, two days left, time to fill the freezer.

Hey Shelvin just a thought, I would try and look for them were they were going at first light. It sounds like you had their patterns down but maybe they are close just not coming to where you were finding them at first light. I was trying to put my boys on a couple decent bucks that were toping over a ridge early and then feeding back over in the late afternoon. We never saw them during our hunt, but a friend found them in the steeper more dense canyon they were bedding and took one last Sat (we had the youth hunt) For whatever reason they changed their routine, I assumed it was from the hunting pressure. I wish I would have pushed my boys a little harder and gotten deeper but I didn't. We had a great time, but the boys are already wanting to be trophy hunters LOL....GOOD LUCK!!!

That's a great cam shot of a nice buck.

When you get him you need to mount him in that exact pose!

Good luck with the hunting. Don't let your spirits get down. There is no other place I'd rather be than out in the hills so enjoy it.

For all of us stuck at work, keep on keepin' on.

I would also like to suggest that you glass the opposite side of the ridges you first saw them on. They may still be feeding towards the top as they get to their bedding areas. (if they are feeding at night with this moon phase)

Well I thought today was the day we were going to get it done. We changed our strategy. We planned on getting to the spot where these deer have been hanging out or about 100 yds from it before light. We got there when we planned and sat and waged for the sun to come up, that's when these deer have been getting out of their beds. Everything was perfect except for the wind was blowing real hard and never let up. We sat and glassed for hours and hours we never saw a single deer. I'm taking the afternoon off to go back home and visit with the wife and kids. Ill be back at it hard for 2 more days.

I have no idea what's going on. I have scouted and scouted then scouted some more. I have patterned these deer in this location for the last 5 yrs. I know where they come from in the mornings, I know where they head when the sun is rising. They have done the same exact thing for the last 5 yrs and leading up to this hunt. The hunt starts and nothing is the same. Ii dont believe its hunting pressure cause during the last 4 hunts they didn't change their morning routine. The only thing I can come up with is the full moon, It is really bright. We have been hiking in way before sunlight not having to use flashlights. I'm not sure if it is the moon or not buts its real frustrating. That's coues hunting!

keep at it, i belive that the full moon has them up most of the night feeding and moving to stray away from wondering predators. wind will put deer down all day i witnessed it saturday saw 5 bucks before 8 am and saw nothing the rest of the day due to wind. Work above the canyons and make a lot of noise throwing rocks and talking once in awhile every 80-100 yards or so. Deer hold tight and walk out the bottoms in most of my cases. Deer are a lot smarter than people think they are.

suppose to get a little warmer too. look over some water holes

We were getting into position 20 minutes before light on Mark's hunt (fri&sat) and seeing 90% of our deer between 9 and 2. Hunt all day. good luck.

The best days of the season are still ahead. Good luck.

Well I hate to say it but I'm done, tag soup! I gave it my all. I was willing to tag any deer these last few days and it didn't work out for me. These deer are pretty dam smart. They get shot at on opening day and they dissappear the rest of the hunt.

I have to go back to work tomorrow so I am headed home to spend some time with the family. Thanks to everybody for the advice and encouragement during my hunt. Happy hunting to everybody.