JimmyHat

ARCHERY mule deer help in Arizona for a non res

Yep, sorry guys but I've got to do it.

Believe it or not I hate asking these types of questions but I've got to start getting some info. Before I go further, I'm just looking for a unit and really nothing more unless you guys feel like being generous.

I live in NM and love hunting desert mulies in January. I draw every year for a unit thats not all that great on deer population but at least I get to get out and hunt. Problem is, the January hunt time frame really sucks for my wife as far as work and taking care of our son goes. Arizona's late season starts in December and thats better because she's off work for two weeks in December and I can go during this time and make things alot easier.

So, now I'm starting my research for next years hunt since I've already got the NM tag for this year. I'll be scouring maps, the AZ game and fish website and the internet for any clues I can pick up. I'm looking for some desert country with lots of public land, probably stay about 10 days and for the first year just take my tent until I get the lay of the land and be mobile before I try bringing my travel trailer down there in the future.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Invest in one of the Water Catchment books that G&F sells and use it find some guzzlers. From there either build a blind and cross your fingers, usually have to have them up about 2 weeks before use or set it back 40 to 50 yds from water in/under a tree. If your wife is hunting also she can sit the water and you can hit the mtn tops and glass for spot & stalk. This is provided we don't get rain, once it rains the deer will scatter and the guzzlers shut down for a month or 3 till the little water pockets scattered through the desert dry up.

The maps in the book aren't that great but they are fairly accurate, I've found a bunch of them with it. As you know water is the achilles heel of desert game and the book will put you on it.

Any middle units, 22,23,21, have a lot of public land, and deer. Most land access issues are in the southern units.

I didn't know about the water catchment book, thats a great tip. Thanks.

I looked at AZ website for the 3 units listed above. All 3 emphasize the declining mule deer population and hunter crowding due to proximity of the city. Unit 21 has no Dec. hunt according to the website. All units have high Mt. Lion densities. Hmm. AC GUY, have you hunted these units personally?

21 has a dec hunt, not sure where you are seeing your info? The whole state's #'s are down for deer but the unit ac guy referred to still has a fair amount of deer and finding deer either by glassing or beating the brush should be no problem.

Not sure what part of NM you're in but there's no need to drive to Central AZ in December to hunt desert MD on public land. There's PLENTY of country in South/Southeastern AZ with deer to hunt and access. Unless you're completely against the border units, the 36's always have plenty of MD to chase.

If the border traffic bothers you, look at any of the southern units that are north of the I-10/I-8 line.

make sure you check AZ regs... some units, like 23, are not open in Dec... but start in Jan. check out 24A or 24B... or more of the southern units are good as stated above. find a hill that looks like you can glass, and go after it... they're in there. not sure I would sit water holes in Dec...

If its cold enough, the southern units may start the rut in that time frame...

Thanks guys appreciate all the suggestions. I'm going to skip the 35's and 36's 'cause I don't want to run the risk of having my stuff screwed with while I'm not around.

In certain parts of NM we've got heroin addicts that get into your stuff when you're out hunting and it really sucks and is pretty aggravating so I'm going to skip that if possible.

Again, I really appreciate everybody's suggestions. I work 2 jobs so scouting is really difficult so I appreciate this.