desertyankee

seeking help on AZ-22N late hunt for bull elk

hey AZPredator,

Nice pix!! Glad I was able to help-- and now if I see that bull I'll know he's yours and hold my fire ;). I'll probably wind up with something more like this one. . . and still be happy. And seriously, to each his own when it comes to the way we hunt; everyone has his own idea of what makes something a "trophy." I'd certainly agree that a hunt is way more satisfying when you succeed in getting a particular animal that you've already taken the time and effort to get to know-- no matter how you go about it.

Hey, I thought I shot him already! One just like it anyways.

Yankee,

Good luck! Hope you get a nice one. I appreciate your pictures as well & look forward to seeing more.

Wow, this is a blast from the past! I did succeed in getting a nice 6 x 6 bull that year I started this thread, and I kind of enjoyed the last laugh. I took some ribbing when I posted that I didn't think walkie-talkies or spotting scopes or long shots were fair, and that I hoped to shoot my bull from 50 yards or less. I wound up shooting this bull at 22 yards...in fact there might be an archived thread called "22 yards in 22 North" that tells the whole story of that hunt. Anyway I'm back in Maine now, but will always have fond memories of my time hunting and rambling outdoors in Arizona that fall.

goldenhorns2.jpg

• Like 3

That bull was taken with a Ruger #1 single-shot chambered for .30-06; I believe I had some 180-gr. bullets. The hunt in this thread was way back in 2010; now all my elk hunting is done with a recurve bow.

Well guess I'm way behind. Saw a post and for once thought I could help. I have unfortunately asked just to be humiliated after being self taught with no experience. Not looking at the date of the original post when a comment was posted it brought it to the top of the board. Happy hunting.

Your good intentions are what counts. And I know what you're saying; some guys on forums can be pretty rough. I had no shortage of AZ "experts" telling me that I was dreaming if I thought I could get a nice bull on public land with a 50-yd. shot or less. Happily, they were wrong. Here's one last photo, showing the bull as he lay...and now I'll let this thread go back to the attic!

darkelk.jpg

• Like 4