desertyankee

seeking help on AZ-22N late hunt for bull elk

Hello all,

I'm a new member, but an old hunter-- trouble is, all my experience is with Maine whitetails. I drew a late rifle bull hunt in Unit 22 North, and have been scouting and picking brains pretty hard. I've walked about fifty miles-- above the Highline Trail, all over Hardscrabble Mesa, out to the end of Deadman Mesa, etc.. Haven't yet looked around Diamond Rim or down into the Mazatzal Wilderness, but I've certainly seen lots of elk already.

The advice I've gotten so far basically boils down to this: If I'm willing to take any bull, hunt the big woods off the Control Road. If I want a really big bull, get down into the deep and nasty places like Rock Canyon, Hardscrabble Canyon, The Gorge, etc., a few miles beyond where guys can drive. Finally, everyone says that the weather will be a huge factor in where the elk are at that time. I have all seven days to hunt (Dec.3-9), and will be toting a Ruger #1 in .30-06. My "base camp" will be a tent, set up near wherever I wind up hunting.

This forum seems to have many knowledgeable contributors, so I'd be interested in hearing any opinions about what I should be considering. Definitely not asking for specific honey holes; I intend to find this bull myself-- and already have a few sweet looking spots. My goal is to shoot a mature bull from inside 100 yds., and I'd much rather be still-hunting than glassing all day. Don't mind packing a big one out several miles if it comes to that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Prepare for snow or flooding. Every year one of the late bull hunts gets a good storm. Last year it got cold and snowed real bad, the previous year rained a little bit. Three years ago it rained real bad, and flooded some spots. Lotsa people can get stuck or stranded.

The bigger bulls will generaly be in harder to acess and harder to hunt/glass areas. Maybe still hunting will be good for it. There will be lots of people, everywhere. The second round (what you have) is a little more difficult than the hunt the week before. There are lots of elk too though.

Thanks for the PM, Jeremy, and the useful information. Here's a few of my recent pix, cuz I always have a camera with me when I'm scouting. The sheep is from Idaho, but that muley eating junipers was two days ago in the Grand Canyon.

post-4980-1288806174.jpg

post-4980-1288806267.jpg

post-4980-1288806295.jpg

post-4980-1288806324.jpg

post-4980-1288806447.jpg

First off, name dropping of the most comon names on a map on the WWW. won't do much good as a first post here or anywhere.... :rolleyes: (By the sounds of it you know the unit better than any of us) :P .... Second, you could have walked 2000 miles prescouting before now and it did you about... no good (and that goes for just about any late hunt)... Third, you can walk further, rough it as much as you want in 22 and it will not net a any better chances at a big bull than a guy that sleeps in a warm bed at night and only walks 2-3 miles a day....

Welcome to the Circus hunt! :lol: Find a spot not on the map with one bull in it and make it yours. ;)

Best of luck to you Traveler. ;)

Coues and Sheep,

A minority of those I've spoken with have expressed similar thoughts to yours; i.e. the late hunt in 22N is unscoutable, unpredictable, and overpopulated with hunters. The majority-- including guys like Darr Colburn and Greg Krogh-- have encouraged me to scout the country, told me that there's plenty of elk there, and responded favorably to my "name dropping" of places because it actually allows us to have a richer conversation. But-- everyone seems to agree that it's a zone with a lot of movement, and that the elk will be in very different spots in December than they are in September; maybe that's the point you were making.

Coues and Sheep,

A minority of those I've spoken with have expressed similar thoughts to yours; i.e. the late hunt in 22N is unscoutable, unpredictable, and overpopulated with hunters. The majority-- including guys like Darr Colburn and Greg Krogh-- have encouraged me to scout the country, told me that there's plenty of elk there, and responded favorably to my "name dropping" of places because it actually allows us to have a richer conversation. But-- everyone seems to agree that it's a zone with a lot of movement, and that the elk will be in very different spots in December than they are in September; maybe that's the point you were making.

There's nothing wrong with a little name dropping. At least it shows that you are somewhat familar, whether on paper or been in the field a little, with the area. With your minimal posts you can't PM anyone either.

There will be lots of people and the weather can turn south in a heart beat. Good luck on your hunt. :)

Thanks AZ Griz,

Yeah, everyone mentions the weather. With whitetails we used to hope for bad weather, just not the horrendous stuff, because it made them move better in the daytime and dulled their sense of smell a bit. Same thing with elk?

I've hunted the unit for most of my almost 30 years living here, the sad part is 5 years ago I could have told you where a decent bull is but I hunted the unit 2 years ago with my son and came home empty, we passed on a good 6X6 opening morning and should have taken him.

Good luck and plan on working hard, lots of scouting and hiking many miles and Oh did I say luck!!!!! It is a tough hunt anymore but rewards are for those willing to hunt hard for them.

Yep too many tags over the years have put the unit in a bad way. The bulls are still there but you are gonna walk many miles and have to luck onto one. Used to be you could find a 300 bull very easy, now you have to hunt for one. Good luck! Watch out for stray bullets with all the people.

Check some of the big canyons at the base of the rim. Anywhere from the fish hatchery to washinton park. Lots of canyon coming off the rim that hold bulls but you will work for them.

Thanks--I was scouting east of Washington Park two weeks ago,mostly just to see the lay of the land. There was some resident bull activity there; lots of torn up trees, some very fresh scrapes, and one bull bugling at sundown. Earlier this spring I checked out Butler Mesa area, almost over to the hatchery-- lots of elk and sign there too.

Payson Outfitters-- your story about your son's hunt two years ago reminded me of what Darr Colburn told me about the late hunt in 22N: "Shoot the first good 6 x 6 you see." No shortage of bulls, apparently, but very skittish by then and lots of antler damage from fighting. Thanks.

You just spoke up on a public forum your scouting spots. Why would you do that??? Now anyone who does a google search of unit 22north elk will know where you have scouted and where these bulls are at. There are tons of hunters who are too lazy to find their own spots and cruise the internet looking for everyone elses spots. Do yourself a favor as well as anyone else who has a 22north tag and keep the spots to PM only.

Are you for real?

Like I said above, he can't PM yet.

Unit 22N is such a small area and there are to many tags given out anyways. Do your really think there are going to be any "secret" spots. Get real here.

You just spoke up on a public forum your scouting spots. Why would you do that??? Now anyone who does a google search of unit 22north elk will know where you have scouted and where these bulls are at. There are tons of hunters who are too lazy to find their own spots and cruise the internet looking for everyone elses spots. Do yourself a favor as well as anyone else who has a 22north tag and keep the spots to PM only.

Half these spots are on the G&F website.