Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

19A BULL ELK TAG HELP

I have a friend who is having a lot of trouble finding any Elk in 19A. If anyone would be willing to give us some info I would be very gratefull. You can reach me at 928-595-1554

Adam

That's a familiar sounding story to most people that have that tag. Looks like the AZG&F is getting the results they wanted for this unit by increasing the rifle tags to 40. Good luck.......

Adam,

I have the same tag. I also had a deer tag there last month. (Mostly to scout and get one of my buddies his first deer, both worked out well!)

I have been doing TONS of scouting all over the unit since August and come up with some good areas and saw more Elk than deer on the last hunt.

So here's the deal. I wrote your number down. If I get lucky and knock one down or feel really confident about my chances after opening day, I will call you and give you all the info I have. Sorry but I'm not giving up any of my hard work and $ spent until then or I'm just done hunting. I will tell you this, they are both high and low right now and I've seen multiple good bulls. With only 38 other hunters I personally look forward to getting a good chance to hunt without too much overrunning of each others space.

Best of luck to your friend.

Joe

So far it's not looking very good for my buddy. We have scouted 6 plus day's and have seen NOTHING! I know the Elk are there someware, but we havent been able to find them yet. This is becoming a very frustrating hunt. I'm starting to forget what an Elk looks like! I hope you guy's are doing better than us.

Adam

I have a cow tag there next month. I have been scouting in the areas that are on Game and fish site not having much luck either. I have seen some old sign but nothing too fresh. Still have 2+ weeks to keep looking so hopefully I can find em. Its fun looking no matter what. Good luck to you if I find any I will give you a holler.

Ron

When we have those tags, 6 days is not enough time to scout!!! Last time we were in there, spent over 20 days scouting to get a few locations of the animals, it is a tough area to hunt, worth it, but cost you a lot of time scouting. Good luck!!

I've never had this much trouble finding Elk. I know this can be a very difficult hunt. Hopefully we can get something figured out in the next week.

Adam

19a is just a tough unit to hunt right now. The elk populations seem to be way down from 5 years ago. I hunt and scout in there all the time because it is close to home. My wife and I have had 5 tags in there in the last 4 years. This year she has the late cow hunt. The biggest problem for us is keeping track of the elk the last few weeks before the hunt. Last year they did a controlled burn right in the area we wanted to hunt. This year they did the same thing. I saw the smoke on my way home from work yesterday. Looks like I am back out to try and find a herd we watced this summer in a different area. Good luck to all who ave tags!

My buddy finally saw a Bull on Saturday morning. Seeing that Elk really helped keep hope alive. Hopefully we can put one down on Friday.

Adam

Yes, finding that needle in the haystack (hunting elk in 19a), Always makes you feel good.

Maybe I will see you out there :ph34r:

Adam,

I still have yours and Cody's #'s. I'm not kidding about calling you. Just hope my gamble works.

Sorry I can't be more help but keep the faith!

Joe