Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

O/U Shotgun Setup for Quail --

I thought the thread on the shot/choke choice for quail was pretty good so I thought I would ask for those that shoot O/U shotguns how you have yours setup - which barrel you have what choke in and why.

I like to shoot my lower barrel first with an improved choke then the upper with modified choke. No particular reason other than that's how I've alway done it.

How about yours?

I like the idea of shooting the lower barrel first as it would tend to produce less barrel jump before the second shot as it is more in line with the butt's heel. Wish I had a lighter 28 ga for quail when carrying it around all day.

Gambels- improved and modified

Mearns- skeet and skeet, since they tend to flush close

I'm like you guys, improved on the bottom barrel and modified on the top (second shot). Late season when the birds are skittish, I'll switch those to modified on bottom and full on top for those long shots.

I always set up with the bottom (first shot) barrel with the more open choke on my 20 gauge. Typically going with skeet & IC for Mearns, IC & modified for early gambels/scalies tightening up later in the season and on windy days.

I shoot a Browning Citori with IC on the bottom and LM on the top. I am with Red Rabbit I like the idea of shooting the bottom barrel first. I also have Briley tubes for my O/U and have changed barrels to 20ga from time to time when the 12ga gets to much.

Ill be the odd ball.... I shoot TOP barrel first... Cylinder/IC for Mearns IC/Light Modified for Gambels and always keep a Modified with me incase they get up way out there, and I shoot a Franchi Alcione 12 guage.

QuailSlam001.jpg

Skeet and IC. The gambels are really holding tight right now. First shot is usually 15-20 yards. I would love to try a cylinder out. Unfortunatly nobody seems to carry them. Starting to consider ordering one.

Casey, just push that button at the top of the trigger shoe to the other side ;)

Thats ok, it does just fine... The right way!

Roninflag, that is from when I killed the AZ quail slam a few years ago with out moving the truck with Ihunt2live and his pups. Was a great day!

Ill be the odd ball.... I shoot TOP barrel first... Cylinder/IC for Mearns IC/Light Modified for Gambels and always keep a Modified with me incase they get up way out there, and I shoot a Franchi Alcione 12 guage.

QuailSlam001.jpg

Nice job on the slam. Ive always wanted to do that!