AZ RANGER

School me on socks, liners, insoles, wax, etc..

Anyone who "wears out" a pair of Kenetreks in one year is someone who puts on some serious hiking, and someone who knows boots better than the rest of us know much about...well, anything.

I'm obvoiusly a big fan of the Meindl Perfekt hunter boot, and I've worn out a few lifetimes of boots. Couesfan (Jim) and Coue's and Sheep (Gino) are wearing Kenetrek boots. That tells me something. These guys are way ahead of the curve of the average AZ hunter, not just on anmals, but the equipment they count on.

Before I buy another pair of Meindle's I'll be trying these boots out. You gotta follow the success on lots of things. Boots are right up there IMO. I might skimp somewhere along the way, I don't have a pricey rifle or a top-dollar rifle scope, as long as they outshoot me, they are doing their job.

But I won't skimp on glassing optics or boots...Been hunting AZ long enough to know those are top priorities.

• Like 1

Great topic!

I just bought a pair of Kenetrek's on Saturday, boy that was a tought purchase :blink: I was tired of buying the Danner Pronghorns every year or every other year let alone walking in wet boots.

I tried on the low cut and the high cut and ended up going with the the high cut, i liked the higher support. I wore them for the first time yesterday and they felt a little odd at first but they were very comfortable and i think i will really like them.

I have quizzed Couesfan about his pair several times over the last year and everytime he say the same thing " the best boot I have every had" so with his testimony i did it.

I'm just sick and tired of buying boots that don't last!

Monty

Well I ended up with the perfekt hunters. I spent about 1.5 hrs trying these the denali and the perfekt hikers on and walking around. The hikers just did not have enough ankle support so they were out. The Denali seemed too tall, it felt unnatural walking in them. The perfekt hunter got the nod, but I am not sure what to think about them at the moment. They felt good in the store, a little stiff but I figured that was natural. I have been wearing them for the last 6 hours and the left foot feels great, very comfortable. My right foot however is not feeling good. It feels like the boot is not wide enough, but only on one foot. The bones on the outside of my right foot are hurting. I am not sure what to do. The size I picked up was 11EE(wides). I tried on the 11.5 but it was too big.

I am going to wear them for the next three days while I am in Sedona for a conference. If they don't give me any relief in the right foot I will have to take them back on Thursday when I go back through Phoenix. I live a long ways from cabelas so I won't have another chance to reutrn them for a while. My right foot is a little bigger but it has'nt been a problem with other shoes. I hope these loosen up I really like them.

Anyone know where can I try on the Kenetreks in Phoenix?

As far as socks go I picked up some cabelas light hiker dri-release wool/nylon blend. Also got the Obenauf's wax. I really like the sock so far.

I ended up taking them back to cabelas and getting a 10.5 in reg width. After a couple of days of wearing them I realized that the problem was that they were too big. My foot was sliding too far forward and this was causing the sides of my foot to hit too far in the front of the boot. They also loosened up alot in those two days. These boots appear to run on the big side.

I am going to put them to the test in the morning on a scouting trip in 27 for a buddies late WT hunt.

I'm glad you found a better fit. I've never worn the Kenetreks, so I can't say how these will compare. I know that my pair of Perfekt Hunters are the best pair of boots I've owned. The cork footbed will conform to your foot after a little use, like Birkenstocks (errrrg, hippie sandals), and the Obenauf's wax will take care of any creaks or squeaks.

Let us know how they work for you tromping around the low desert.

I absolutly love my kennetreks reccomend them to everybody! I've used vasque and danner boots pretty much exclusivly before and the kennetreks are much better!

I would love to try the kenetrecs, I have heard great things about them. I will have to wear out my current Danners before I can think about it. I took several pairs of socks to Alaska this year including 1 pair of smartwool. I found it was very helpfull to keep changing socks especially in a wet environment. I saw no difference in my socks, they were all high quality wool blend type socks

I had a pair of the Meindl's and loved them...initially, on my way back from Mexico they rode in the back of the truck in the snow because they were just to stiff and tore my feet apart and I have not worn them since(they were broken in). Shifted to Lowa boots and they are most definitely the best boots I have worn. I always switch out the factory insoles to spenco crosstrainer inserts as well, I also recommend these to my patients. ag

I used to be a huge Smartwool sock fan but after trying a pair of Dahlgren 'Alpaca' backpacking socks I will be ordering several more pairs. Smartwool socks don't hold a candle against them. I wore them the first day into my sheep area. I did'nt think anything of it until I wore my Smartwools the next morning. Then I realized something was missing. Soon after I started my decent off the mountain, the bottom of my big toes were hurting pretty good. After realizing how good my feet felt the day before, I stopped and changed back to the Alpacas. WOW! they provided so much cushion it was incredible. My feet have never been in such good shape after a backpacking trip carrying heavy loads down very steep mountains. Needless to say, my toes did not hurt one bit during the rest of the trip. They get 5/5 stars in my book and a super A++++++++. They don't stink as much either.

http://www.dahlgrenfootwear.com/socks/outdoor-hiking/backpacking/