Sign in to follow this  
Ace High Benny

Emergency communication with the BP

Subsequent to my post "An evening in 36B" I wanted to know if the BP is currently working on opening a 2-way radio emergency channel for civilian use? Does anybody know anything?

This said, I was not able to communicate with them by phone (no service) or by 2-way radio (no dedicated channel) during that evening.

I just called the BP Nogales Station; they confirmed the above: "No 2-way channels for civilian use".

In my opinion, this is an issue that, perhaps, AZGF has to tackle and establish a co-operation with the BP so that it becomes a statewide decision that when a hunter / fisherman-woman has an emergency he/she should be able to contact BP on a 2-way radio, say at 9.11

Ace

That's not going to happen!

Get a satellite phone, they work great, if you cant afford one, you can rent one.

Just shoot the "Problem", then you won't have it any more!! Problem solved! If you realy want to have a radio to talk to them on, I would call one of the radio shops in Tuscon and let them know what you are looking for. I wouldn't worry about FCC laws if you were in a real emergency.

Just shoot the "Problem", then you won't have it any more!! Problem solved! If you realy want to have a radio to talk to them on, I would call one of the radio shops in Tuscon and let them know what you are looking for. I wouldn't worry about FCC laws if you were in a real emergency.

Good luck with breaking the encription code to chat with The Department of Homeland Security.

[Good luck with breaking the encription code to chat with The Department of Homeland Security.

Good point!

Unless BP / DHS allow it looks like it will not happen!

Ace

BP is NOT going to allow any one without top secret clearance to have the encryption code. That is a national security issue.

Get the Sat Phone and you will be prepared...

BP is NOT going to allow any one without top secret clearance to have the encryption code. That is a national security issue.

YEP! +1

Casey, I know you would obviously know the answer to this but I always kind of figured that BP monitored pretty much every channel on the normal run of the mill 2 way radios down south. A few years ago in 36B we heard someone call out on our 2 ways that they had found someone that was dying but still alive and if there was any BP listening that could help them out. Someone we assumed to be from BP responded within about 10 seconds asking where they were. Maybe you aren't even allowed to say either way, which is cool if that's the case.

Ft. Huachuca is one of the premier communication centers in the whole world, they can pretty much listen to anything. There is a good chance that they are scanning all that stuff- say enough key words and they will probably tune in and pass the word. DHS is NOT going to give you access to their communications. period!

Maybe you have had better luck getting a hold of them than me. I have never successfully talked to an operator or real person there. If that concerned, I would call 911 on your cell and just get the sheriff's office and they can pass it on if needed. I get cell coverage pretty much everywhere down there I can get my truck to.

Most of the military and other entities channels are HF or VHF and a scanner will get you in on some pretty good freq's. I spoke with more HAMM operators from the states then the countries I was "visiting" down in central and south America back in the 80's. As others have stated though, your best bet is to have a sat phone or call your local sheriff's dept and hope they are not all at a political rally somewhere! <_<

There's a few civilians that've been issued BP radio's like a few ranchers but like what's already been said you'll never reach them on a two-way radio. HAMM works great down there tho. Never played with a satellite phone tho.

If you can find the frequency that they are on, you can talk to them... Illigally, but you can. There is no "encryption code" this is the real world, not a movie. Get a ham that you can open up or find one that is M.A.R.S. enabled and it will talk.

It's against the Law to Use VHF Marine Hummingbird radios on land but not to carry one if it was an emergency I would use it anyway. I carry one with me back east in case I break my leg and the old Cell phone doesn't work. If I ever had to pay a fine to be saved I'd do it as well...better then lighting a forest fire...remember that crazy lady who set the Chediski fire.

If you can find the frequency that they are on, you can talk to them... Illigally, but you can. There is no "encryption code" this is the real world, not a movie. Get a ham that you can open up or find one that is M.A.R.S. enabled and it will talk.

Their comms aren't anything like you can pick up on a police scanner (I scan TPD's radio's with an app on my iPhone). The BP is on a digital Motorola system that is encrypted. They upgraded to this a couple years ago.